Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Friday, June 14, 2002  
Treatment Plan

Dr. Spigel is prescribing FNP with Rituxan. These letters stand for Fludarabine, Novantrone, and Prednisone. Rituxan is an immunotherapy drug and monoclonal antibody. They will be injected for a 3-day cycle every 3 weeks for 6 cycles and will begin in August. I started on the Prednisone yesterday and it's not fun. I feel hot and flushed and hyper. This involves taking 10 mg tablets for 9 days: 5 twice a day for 5 days, 50 mg once a day for 2 days, and 25 mgs once a day for 2 days. I'm teaching an English 102 class at Watkins College of Art & Design and the Film School which ends July 15. Dr. Spigel will be on his annual vacation to Maine for 4 weeks during July. He wants to be here for my treatment and I want him here too, so this will give me some time to get things done around the house and do some fun things too. I want to visit my daughter Kathy and her family and watch the grandchildren play softball and T-ball. Brian, Melissa, and I have some plans to get together, too. I'm planning to be on sick leave first semester and possibly the entire year. Based on what some people say, I'll probably need it. It's not a good idea to be around kids and expose myself to illnesses while my immune system is compromised. What I get to do and when will depend on my blood count. It's going to be a drastic change from teaching high school English, speech, composition, and creative writing, the class at Watkins, and two homebound students most of the year to having more time off than I've had since Brian was a baby. I stayed home with him for three years to warp the twig in the way I wanted it to grow. To stir not shake the metaphor, my Little Apple didn't fall too far from his tree. We just have to laugh about it now. What else can we do? :-)

1:23:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com