Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, November 17, 2002  
Comparison

After watching Changing Rooms on BBC America, Trading Spaces on The Learning Channel is a pale comparison or maybe even no comparison! Changing Rooms and Ground Force are so much better and more entertaining. It's also difficult to be more engaging than Carol, the hostess of Changing Rooms. TLC's carpenter isn't as entertaining as Handy Andy either. Some of the HGTV shows are more original.

If imitation is the highest form of flattery, American TV flatters away! They try to be too much like the English show on Trading Spaces to the point of its almost being a too-Californian parody of it. That doesn't work. Of course the word flatter does not mean being complimentary but excessive praise based on self-interest. It's insincere. Guess that's what happens with all these imitations. Some of them worked because they were made to fit the characters and situations. I believe Sanford and Son was based on an English TV show as was Cracker which I liked with Robert Pastorelli as I still enjoy the BBC Cracker reruns with Robbie Coltrane. Some of you might know about some others. I've heard about quite a few of our shows based on theirs but can't remember them now. OK, I know I've always watched too much TV! Jason Bledsoe, a former student, told me that once, and I responded by mentioning that he recognized every reference I made.

My favorite show on now is West Wing. The writing is brilliant which gives the actors so much to work with. I look forward to it every week and tape it to watch again. It's so fast-paced that I notice new things when I see it again. I also watch the Law & Order shows, ER, Juding Amy, Frasier, Friends, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and too many others. Often I multi-task while it's on but sometimes watch closely depending on how much I need to pay attention. Also I'm in and out of the rooms where the TVs are on and have my computer where I can see the one in the den. Protesting too much? Justifying? Well, this is a country based on the writings of Cotton Mather and Jonathan Edwards. Remember his sermon Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God? Ah, the guilt, the guilt! LOL

We're going through a stage in this country - at least I hope it's a stage. Political correctness makes things too bland and boring. It has its place but is either an outgrowth or cause of so many people thinking they have the right not to be offended. Being intentionally rude is .... well, rude; however, when did people become so sensitive that they took offense at every slight remark or action? Part of growing up is learning to deal with diversity. Truly accepting differences means feeling comfortable and not being so careful that we can't even be ourselves. There are extremes going on now where some are too tentative and careful and others are mean and violent because of their attitudes toward those who are different from them.

By the way, my poor little (well not so little) cat Columbo is so wooly looking as Mother said, that the fur mat police will probably come after me. He has such fine fur that it's so bad I'm going to have to take him to the vet and have one of them make him look weird for a while. Guess Columbo and I can both wait for our hair to fill in and look better. Sad duo here, aren't we?

9:14:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com