Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Saturday, December 21, 2002  
MLD and Other Transformations

Yesterday I went to the high school faculty breakfast and enjoyed seeing people. Hugs and some catching up! Fun!! Some of the teachers I hoped to see weren't there, but maybe I'll catch them later. I'm going to try to go by the day they go back from vacation since it's an administrative day and go through my stuff I left there. DJ said it wasn't in the way, and I hope it isn't but feel I should be sure. He asked if I were coming back, and I told him I was working on that. I haven't felt like thinking about it and decided I would wait until after the first of the year to check into possibilities. Chemohead is a reality. I can tell my memory and thinking aren't like they have been, which was bad enough, I know!! So let's hope I will be mentally competent to figure this out and to get a job.

Yesterday after MLD, Debbie said I didn't need any more since the lymphedema is gone and the fibrosis is much better. MLD makes the lymph fluid move ten times faster which makes healing faster too. All this in two months!! The month and a half before I went to her didn't show much improvement. The wound was smaller and not quite as deep, but it has healed completely now! Real skin has grown over it and layers have filled in. There is a scar and scar tissue, but Debbie said massage can help break up the scar tissue. I had no idea it could do that. I also had no idea this could heal so quickly. What took two months with MLD would have taken over a year without it (probably longer), and there could have been problems with muscles becoming atrophied because of severely limited range of motion in my neck from all this. It's like magic!! Doctors told me there would probably always be swelling and that some of this would never go away. We'll see. I wish everyone knew about MLD and what it can do.

Debbie told me about someone who had sinus surgery that she treated once a day two days before his surgery. Most people who have this surgery have major swelling and black eyes. His doctor told him he didn't lose but a tablespoon of blood and that he couldn't believe how well he did. He came to see Debbie the next day after his surgery and had no swelling or discoloration around his eyes. He healed really well, too. This stuff works!! It's not just for cancer-related lymphedema but for any swelling and bruising from injury and pre-surgery. By doing it before or as soon after as possible, MLD helps the body heal itself.

Insurance won't pay for it in TN unless physical therapists do it in the hospital and the doctors order it. Only a few hospitals provide it though. Apparently, they don't realize that in order for massage therapists to be certified in MLD, they have to have graduated from an accredited massage school before they can take the classes. Don't go to anyone who hasn't been properly trained in MLD. Some therapists can take a short seminar, which doesn't really prepare them. They need to go four weeks to Vodder training. He's the founder of it and trained the instructors. It's a rigorous and expensive four weeks. Debbie went to Austria where this originated for the last two weeks of her classes. They are required to update with continuing education as well. Debbie was instrumental in having massage therapists licensed by the state and is still on the board to approve and monitor licenses and education. This is not "alternative medicine" but based on physiology and anatomy. MLD is a complex therapy because the lymphatic system is complicated. Some insurance companies and some states recognize this and act accordingly. If more doctors see the results, they will want their patients to benefit from this therapy and heal faster. Until then, it's out of our pockets.

10:26:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com