Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, February 23, 2003  
Awards

I watched the British Film Awards on BBC America, which I really enjoyed. Stephen Fry hosted it and was of course so funny. Meryl Streep read Charlie Kaufman's acceptance speech she said he faxed over. It was quirky as would be expected for the screenwriter of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Being John Malkovich, and Adaptation. This makes me hope he wins the Oscar for this because of the acceptance speech he could make. She tripped over part of it and read, "I want to spank ..... uh, (embarassed laughter, hand over face) um, THANK SPIKE Jonze." Fry remarked that it was good she didn't want to thank William Jones. All this strenghtens my wish for a British man of my very own. I love the humor and the way with words many of them have. Surely this could happen - I only want one of them. I'm not greedy. Besides, in general they seem less shallow than too many American men and don't go as much for the anorexics with lots of cosmetic surgery who look like 10-year-old boys in drag. I'm thinking about Lara Flynn Boyle and Calista Flockhart here, for two. Of course, I could be wrong.

BAFTA was shown without commercial breaks by BMW, which made it even better. I will go out and buy a BMW or two just to show my gratitude. It will be rerun Thursday night. Must mention the odd leopard-patterned seats in the auditorium where it was held. Daniel Day-Lewis won Best Actor, Nicole Kidman got Best Actress, The Pianist Best Film, and a complete list of winners here.

Producer Saul Zaentz was honored with the highest award, a fellowship, and said - "I was and still am a member of the majority of American voters who were not realized in the last Presidential election, and there is no doubt of outright criminality at the highest level by the court-declared winners. We're now seeing in America the possibilities of an absolute government by the few for the betterment of the few. This is to be reached in any manner. But as one of that great majority that believes and knows, America as America is not the person or the politician or political party who happens to be in office for a stated period of time. In the words of Martin Luther King, 'We shall overcome.' And we will." (well, MLK said and sang them but didn't write the song, not that I'm quibbling ... instead I'm working on my defense when the Thought Police swoop down on me since it's possible the Sedition Act has been repealed)

I taped it which enabled me to transcribe this part of his acceptance speech. He prefaced it by saying this is the part that would be edited, but it wasn't. The show didn't have closed captioning unfortunately. I've been clicking that on now and then to be sure I catch all that's being said on some shows such as West Wing which has such quick dialogue. I always tape it, mostly because someone invariably calls me during it (and you know who you are) and I don't want to miss all that's going on, and it's a very "busy" show. I don't use the cc function often because I start reading them as if they are subtitles for a language I understand. Even I find that weird.

Dave Barry summed up my feelings about the Grammys in his blog today. I'm old and know it best during the MTV Awards. I do like Norah Jones, the Dixie Chicks singing the Stevie Nicks song, Sheryl Crow, and some others I'll save mentioning for another time - mostly because I can't remember them now. Harvey Fierstein was dressed like Dame Edna and then I remembered he plays the mother in Hairspray - Devine's role. He presented with Rod Stewart who has become Barry Manilow. Earl and I went to see Rod Stewart in concert when he was in Nashville and enjoyed it. Someone gave away four tickets, so all we had to do was meet her and pick them up. I sold two of them to a scalper which paid for the gas and parking, so I broke even. I tried to trade them all in for better seats but my negotiating skills aren't that good. We tried to find other people to go with us, but it was too short notice since I heard about them that morning. I've repaid that favor to others and have given away tickets I couldn't use.

8:12:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com