Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, April 05, 2004  
Embarrassing Moments of Teaching

I have many of them, but one I referred to in the comment section happened with Janey as my witness. She was observing teachers as part of her preparation to be an English teacher when she was in college. She was in my classroom during one of her observations while I was going over the selection in our American literature book about Valley Forge. It was an account describing the hardships of the winter when the Colonial soldiers had inadequate clothing, food, and shelter. They were also described as poor shots since they hadn't even been able to kill any birds that had flown over. They'd been eating bark from trees and had frost-bitten fingers. Somehow I made the comment that their fingers were so cold they couldn't even shoot a bird. Fortunately, it was early in the school year and at a time when students didn't comment as much then as they do now, so no one said anything or even snickered. Except for Janey and me. We had to avoid eye contact because each of us knew what the other was thinking. After class we laughed about it. That was the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

2:14:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com