Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, December 26, 2004  
Snowbound (or in my case Icebound)

My streets are still white and icy, so I can't get out of my neighborhood. I'm going to think about this if I move again; however, I sort of like the isolation at times. It's not so great during Christmas and when there's no school, so I'm not going to enjoy it to the extent I do now when I retire. It's weird to be stranded when most other people can get out. It's the hills in all directions here. Butch's 4-wheel drive truck made it fine, so maybe I need to get a car that has that function on it for future icy times. I don't want any big vehicles like SUV's and such as that, but Earl's Honda had 4-wheel drive which would be fine with me since my next car will be a return to the Japanese. I've had two Hondas which I really liked and have heard great things about Toyotas.

Brendan really racked up on clothes this year. In addition to his gifts, he got hand-me-downs from Patti and will get some from Kathy. Their boys have cute clothes that are just right for Brendan. He can pass them down to Carter. Brendan got some books and toys he likes, too. Janelle and Butch gave him an Old McDonald tractor with a cow, pig, and duck. The farmer sings and when an animal is in the driver's seat, it says, "I can't drive" in that animal's voice. Really cute. I got him Grunt: Pigorian Chant by Sandra Boynton which is hilarious. The pigs chant pig latin and the other animals real Latin. There's a CD with it which sounds like Gregorian Chants if you don't pay much attention to the words - not difficult for me since I don't know Latin - but Brian and Melissa do. I also got him clothes, a pull-toy train, and some other books by Boynton and Brian Wildsmith.

It was so sweet to watch Brendan and Mother playing the piano. She played that Old Saint Nick song about up on the rooftop, and Brendan just watched, listened, and then looked at her and said, "Ho, ho, ho." He sat on the piano bench after she finished and had the correct posture, held his hands right, and had a gentle touch. He has the genes to be a musician as well as the environment, so he probably will. Melissa sings, plays the piano and Celtic harp. Brian sings and plays keyboards. They were both in concert choir in high school and at Sewanee. The biggie is that Melissa's father is a retired music professor (several universities) and former concert master of the Birmingham symphony, and her mother was music director in various churches. Brenda definitely responds to music and has Melissa's talent for remembering lyrics and stories. He requests songs and stories by using key words from them. I'm beginning to catch on but can't remember and perform them the way Melissa does so brilliantly.

I'm planning to go to Kathy's tomorrow if my street melts enough. Once I get out, it will be fine, but I need to check with her to see how it is on Signal Mountain. I hope I can go tomorrow and not wait until Tuesday but will see how things are. Kelsey wanted Lemony Snicket books, Luke LeapPad modules, and Kari I didn't get hints from. She's been reading the Junie B. Jones books for a while now. I usually get them books and some crafts to do. Luke still likes toys, and the girls' interests are branching out. Then there are things I just decide they might like.

Grandchildren are such a delight!

1:22:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com