Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Saturday, January 29, 2005  
Quiz

Many thanks to all the regulars and new participants who answered the trivia quiz. Keep up the good work! It makes it more interesting and fun, and I appreciate your doing it.

from the Pop Culture Edition of Trivial Pursuit ...

1. MOVIE - Who played the title role in the 1996 version of the Jane Austen novel Emma? [Aha! The TP people spelled it Austin ... I've had to edit them before, and we've found mistakes ourselves .... remember Cymbric? I think that was the word.]
2. TV - What rampaging celebrity monster did Leonard Maltin, Sidney Poitier, and the Cure's Robert Smith defeat on South Park?
3. MUSIC - Who wrote the Monkees' "I'm a Believer"?
4. SPORTS & GAMES - What arcade game did George Costanza try to rescue from a pizza parlor? [did I ever tell you about one of my horrible and shuddery blind dates, Don the Baptist, who looked sort of like George and was more of a nutcase?]
5. BUZZ - What L.A. improv comedy troupe had Conan O'Brien, Phil Hartman, and Lisa Kudrow as members?
6. FAD - What foul-mouthed teen became the Candie's shoe model in 2002?

from the "Know-It-All" Edition ...

7. PEOPLE & PLACES - Who was the now-famous inhabitant of 263 Princengracht, Amsterdam? [I've seen it from a boat ... I like those canal cities]
8. ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT - What disorder did Jack Nicholson's character suffer from in the movie As Good As It Gets?
9. HISTORY - What two Middle-eastern countries are separated by the "Good Fence"? [apparently they've read Robert Frost's "Mending Wall"]
10. SCIENCE & NATURE - What bacteria responsible for food poisoning in humans may be found living on the skin of iguanas? [let this be a lesson to you, kids ... keep the iguanas away from your food and wash your hands after playing with iguanas and never put your fingers in your mouths .... we did as children and look at us!]
11. SPORTS & LEISURE - What colorful St. Louis Browns manager once used 3'7" Eddie Gaedel as a pinch-hitter? [how did he do?]
12. WILD CARD - What was the first country outside the U.S. to sell Ben & Jerry's ice cream? [my idea of a menage a trois - me with Ben & Jerry]

How esoteric some of these are - as usual! Have fun!

10:17:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com