Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Saturday, July 30, 2005  
Hotels and Bob Dylan

The Hickerson Hotel in Charlotte has special dinner events the last Friday of each month. Last night was the second one I've attended. My friend Linda came down from Nashville, and we were seated with Peggy E. and Sue A. The dinner was delicious and is always a surprise since reservations are made without knowing the menu up until the last minute. Last month we had a 4th of July theme with cookout food (steak, twice-baked potatoes, salad, and a patriotic cream cheese dessert with blueberries and strawberries decorated as a flag). Last night we had chicken marsala over linguine, bacon-wrapped asparagus, layered congealed salad, and praline cheesecake. Let's not even figure out the fat grams and carbs in that dinner! Those made it taste good.

Then Bobby Speight, husband of one of the owners, Leta, who is also my cousin, sang Bob Dylan songs. That was an entertaining, nostalgic trip, and he did a good job. He made up a trivia quiz of 10 questions about Bob Dylan on which W. D. Owen and I tied for first place. The tie-breaker question was how old is Dylan. I got it because I remembered that he was born the same year as my ex-husband and is a Gemini which would make him 64. My prize was a travel coffee mug and a gift certificate as well as the admiration and respect of all! At least that's what I choose to believe.

Highway 61, Revisited

During dinner I was explaining the condition of my house to Peggy and Sue. For those of you who have seen Clean Sweep on TLC, that gives you a visual of it. For me, it's the realization of my worst nightmare for my future. Years ago there was an article in the Tennessean about Mary Northern, who was found dead in her house surrounded by clutter, squalor, and ancient paintings she'd created. She was in a chair in front of a cold fireplace with gangrene of her feet. I've lived in fear ever since then of that fate, and now here I am! At least I get out and still have my feet intact.

Odd for Sure!

I have a set of everyday dishes with four dinner plates, four salad plates, and four cups in blue, green, yellow, and orange which I put in the cabinet however I take them out of the dishwasher. An aside: my cabinets and drawers are neatly organized. It's just out where you can see things that it's chaos. I might have a few control issues but am not OCD. But I digress. I just noticed (since I break rules and eat while at the computer) that my plate and cup are both blue and wondered what the odds would be for that to happen. I have no intention of trying to figure this out because it's the part of math I hate the most. It gives me headaches. Give me a quadratic equation or hypotenuse or ratio and proportion any time, but not odds! For those of you who think like that, what would it be and why? In this case, we're dealing with 8 items (4 plates and 4 cups) and 4 color variables.

11:56:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com