Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, November 30, 2005  
New Toys

I got Kathy's children this really cool interactive globe for Christmas today and have been playing with it. LeapFrog has neat toys that are educational and fun and so does vtech. Americans are notoriously bad at geography, and I'm one of them. That's usually my last piece in Trivial Pursuit to get which is scary because sometimes I know the sports and leisure questions before the geography. Some of it I know very well, though. Anyway, I've had fun playing with this globe and would like to have one. It tells the names of all the places, capitals, population, money, music, distances, the time everywhere, and much more. Then there are the dreaded quizzes! It would help if I could see some of those small places and print. Guess I need a magnifying glass.

Another thing I bought is the Book Lover's edition of Trivial Pursuit. I'm going to post a quiz from that on here now and then to see how we do on that. I don't want to do that too much since I plan to play it with friends and don't want to cheat. So stay tuned for a new quiz!



Book Lover's Quiz

1. Children's - What Judy Blume novel was originally slated to be called Peter, Fudge, and Dribble?
2. Classics - What Western tale by Walter Van Tilburg Clark centers on the lynching of three innocents?
3. Non-Fiction - What long-dead rapper's 2003 book Resurrection was hyped as "the autobiography he never got to write"?
4. Book Club - What lyrical Kent Haruf novel recounts a year in the life of a town in the Colorado flatlands?
5. Authors - What homemaker parlayed her At Wit's End column in the Kettering-Oakwood Times into 15 best-selling humor books?
6. Book Bag - Whose unique verse, collected in Deadline Post, was launched when a former GOP official inspired his first poem, "If You Knew What Sununu"?

If you don't know many of these, join the club! (and I'm a former English teacher)

5:17:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com