Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, January 01, 2006  
Quiz

Answers are posted in the Squawkbox comment place. Obviously, I need to read more. Several of us English teacher friends played this Thursday night at Tina's, and they would say about me that maybe I'd know "this one because there was a movie made from it." Guess if I'm ever going to write, it needs to be screenplays instead of novels. Then we played Conga, which was lots of fun and a Cranium game. They (Rachel, Molly, and Tina) came over to the vitamin store and brought lunch and played True Colors yesterday since it was New Year's Eve and not much business. That was a lot of fun, too.

from the Pop Culture Edition of Trivial Pursuit ...

1. MOVIE - What 1992 feature film starred Rebecca DeMornay as a deranged, revenge-seeking nanny?
2. TV - Who was the Wonder Twins' monkey sidekick?
3. MUSIC - What 1992 Laurence Fishburne film featured one of the first collaborations between Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog?
4. SPORTS & GAMES - What happened to umpire John McSherry while he was officiating the Opening Day game for the Cincinnati Reds in 1996? [Why did they capitalize Opening Day?]
5. BUZZ - What military devices did Princess Diana devote herself to banning from use?
6. FAD - Who was the Long Island native who played the Snapple Lady in the 1990's commercials?

from the "Know-It-All" Edition ...

7. PEOPLE & PLACES - Who was the only U.S. president to top the scales at 300 pounds?
8. ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT - What Baroque-era German organist and composer had over twenty children?
9. History - Which two nations has Bangladesh been a part of?
10. SCIENCE & NATURE - What gas caused the Hindenberg explosion?
11. SPORTS & LEISURE - Who is the all-time leader in NASCAR victories?
12. WILD CARD - What is the ceremony called that celebrates the positioning of the last piece of structural steel in a skyscraper?

from the "Book Lovers" Edition ...

13. Children's - What Judy Blume novel was banned by grade schools for addressing menstruation?
14. Classics - What Shakespearean character falls on his sword, with the help of his faithful servant Strato?
15. Non-Fiction - What bestseller did Anthony Bourdain say was inspired by "twenty-five years of sex, drugs, bad behavior, and haute cuisine"?
16. Book Club - Who wrote Joy School, her sequel to Durable Goods, because she missed its heroine Katie?
17. Authors - What author of the play An Ideal Husband left his wife Constance in 1886, claiming he'd been away so long he'd forgotten his house number?
18. Book Bag - What U.S. president does Saddam Hussein replace with a surgically altered look-alike in Jeffrey Archer's Honor Among Thieves?

from the "TV" Edition ...

19. Classics - What superhero made three acquaintances forget his true identity with a dose of Professor Pepperwinkle's antimemory vapor?
20. Sitcoms - What sitcom's theme tells you: "You wanna go where everybody knows your name"?
21. Drama - What Atlanta-set movie classic did Ted Turner use to launch his TNT channel?
22. Kids & Games - What adventure series was set in Britain in the year 1191 A.D.?
23. Stars - Who played the wife on Macmillan and Wife?
24. Wild Card - What long-running, hour-long science documentary series debuted on PBS in 1974?

7:46:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com