Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Saturday, April 22, 2006  
No Rest for the Weary

I met Melissa in Bellevue this morning to keep Brendan while they (mostly Brian) went to one of those geek conventions and Melissa baked Brendan's birthday cake. When Mother asked Brendan what he wanted for his birthday, he answered, "Cake." Priorities, right? We went to that wooden park in Bellevue, The Red Caboose Park, for almost three hours. Brendan was adventurous but not fool-hardy, which is the way to be. He had so much fun playing and being with the other children. It's interesting some of the conversations I've had so far at these parks with parents and grandparents. I think we'll go there many more times. I also want to go to the zoo now that the new giraffes are there. I enjoy the Nashville Zoo anyway, but this is quite an addition.

We went to Mother's and got to visit with my cousin Emily who spent the night. After she left, Mother, Brendan, and I did some shopping and ate dinner out at a place where we could eat at picnic tables. I finally got Brendan to sleep around 10:30. He was so tired and sleepy that he got upset with the foam letters because some of them wouldn't stick to the sides of the bathtub. We watched a movie and then I rocked him and sang this song I made up about sleep. He fights it so hard and doesn't want to give in to it at all. It's a short song with few lyrics. Here are the lyrics, and it's sung to the tune of "On Top of Old Smokey." "Sleep is not scary. Sleep is not sad. Sleep is our friend and cannot be bad. It helps us feel good the very next day, so we can sing and laugh and play." Songwriters don't have to worry about me as competition!

I'm up checking email and posting something here while I wash his clothes. Don't ask. It's what I do. Besides, he got incredibly dirty in the park (sandbox and ground) and also spilled chocolate milk on his shirt at lunch. Can't send him home with dirty clothes!

11:47:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com