Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Friday, November 03, 2006  
E-Voting

Linda and I went to the screening of a documentary by David Earnhardt about voting reform tonight in Nashville. The title is Eternal Vigilance, and it focuses on the 2004 election. There are some clips from it on their website that are quite illuminating and informative. Election reform is bipartisan because we need to know that all our votes are counted honestly and correctly. Check out the clip about Clint Curtis and the problems in Ohio. One precinct had over 600 voters recorded by the workers, but somehow George W. Bush got over 4,000 votes from there. The inequities go on and on from voters being excluded to the software being compromised by code being written that changed votes. That's in the Clint Curtis part.

If we had paper receipts that verified our votes that had to be left at the voting place for auditing purposes and recounts if needed, it would help a lot. A Nashville accountant Athan Gibbs designed TruVote which provides a paper record and much more. Here's an article about him and his invention. One of the people at the screening tonight said that his software is auditable and could be used with other machines.

This is something that affects us all and we need to be aware and involved because no matter what we believe about higher or lower taxes, how our tax money is spent, and ways we want to improve our country, it doesn't make any difference at all if we aren't voting for the candidates we think we are. My goodness, we go all over the world to see if other countries have legal elections and Americans believe it is one of the cornerstones of democracy! Why then do we allow it to exist here? It's not just the machines but other methods as well that we need to be aware of. Go to the polls and watch the lines to be sure people are getting to vote. Volunteer to be a poll worker. Pay attention! No matter what your party affiliation, we all need to work together on this. It's criminal.

10:56:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com