Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, January 17, 2007  
Changes We've Seen

I'm sure many of you have read this email that's made the rounds, but I thought I'd post it and see what comments you have about it. Some of the changes have valid reasons, but it makes teaching and parenting completely different. Some of that is good and some of it ridiculous. I wish I could find Shirley Schmidt's closing statement from Boston Legal last night. Did any of you see that? Candice Bergen plays her, and David E. Kelley has had my loyalty and gratitude ever since he wrote speeches like this and others I agree with about teachers and citizens. In Boston Public his series portrayed some of the financial difficulties teachers have along with all the responsibilities and expectations that can be overwhelming. I'll always be a big fan of his because of his understanding and support.

Now here's the email that goes uncredited since I don't know who wrote it. My apologies for that, but I'm not taking credit for writing it. For all the people who inspired these laws and regulations, there are so many who never did it and are now hampered by and penalized for the actions of others. That's how it is about so many things, isn't it?

Then and Now!!

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1953 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car
and gets his to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never
sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and
teachers.
***************************************************************
Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1953 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best
friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them
with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.
***************************************************************
Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1953 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still
in class.

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra
money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.
****************************************************************
Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a
whipping.

1953 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and
becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and
joins a gang. Billy's sister tells state psychologist she remembers being abused
herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.
******************************************************************
Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1953 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal who has a headache also.

2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car
searched for drugs and weapons.
******************************************************************
Scenario: Mary turns up pregnant.

1953 - 5 High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a special
school for expectant mothers.

2006 - Middle School Counselor calls Planned Parenthood, who notifies the ACLU.
Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion without her parent's
consent or knowledge. Mary given condoms and told to be more careful next time.
********************************************************************
Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts
them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1953 - Ants die

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic
terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers
confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to
fly again.
********************************************************************
Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is
found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.

1953 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3
years in State Prison.
********************************************************************

12:43:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com