Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Saturday, July 07, 2007  
Charleston Trip

Just a quick post to let you know what a good time Tina and I had in Charleston, South Carolina. Here's an example of one of the antebellum houses there. We stayed on Meeting Street just a couple of blocks from Market Street in the historic district. There were so many wonderful restaurants there with selections of food Charleston is famous for. Lots of shops on Market Street where we braved the heat and humidity. We had a great time and are now getting ready to leave for Cedar Key, FL. Where is it? Drive to Gainesville and turn right! It's in the Gulf. This is where we'll stay while we're there.

We had our best meal of the trip at Anson. Shrimp and grits are a lowcountry specialty, so it was interesting to taste the various versions. Anson's featured the best grits I've ever eaten - real grits that have to be soaked and cooked a long time. Anson has upscale lowcountry cuisine, so their shrimp had tomato with bacon and other ingredients in the sauce. Their grits are from Anson Mills and can be ordered online, so I think I will. We also had cashew-encrusted grouper, green beans, hoppin' John, and Chardonnay. Excellent! Hyman's had a roux with the shrimp and grits, which was also delicious. When we moved from Charleston, I said I wanted to go back just to eat. I did and hope to again. This sinful place has the best pralines ever! They give out free samples on the sidewalk to lure you inside. As if the aroma wouldn't do it! Then there was Kaminsky's that only has coffee, desserts, and martinis. Check out their menu.

T-Bonz is a casual, fun place for good seafood (and other treats) and cow paintings on the walls. Look at the t-shirts here. I took several photos of the whimsical cow paintings I need to post in my album on here. I will do that later. For now, here's a photo I took of some of them if you can tell much about them. They are based on paintings by Van Gogh, Andy Warhol, Dali, da Vinci, and Michelangelo.

On the way down we stopped at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. If you've never been, you need to see the largest home in the US. It's hard to get your mind around people actually living there. It's even grander than those "cottages" in Newport, RI, which I thought were the epitome of Gilded Age opulence. They are, but Biltmore exceeds them. This article has interesting information about the estate and its history. Here's an excerpt from that site:

The Biltmore House is most recognized for its position as America's largest home. It is certainly that, with four acres under one roof and 250 rooms, 65 fireplaces, 43 bathrooms, an indoor pool, and bowling alley. However, it is what the house contains that is most remarkable. It is decorated with thousands of original furnishings, including original art from masters such as Renoir, magnificent 16th-century tapestries, more than 40 bronze sculptures, Napoleon's chess set, and a library with 10,000 volumes. Biltmore House has room after room of art, history, and luxury, including a banquet hall with a 70-foot ceiling.


1:33:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com