Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, June 16, 2008  
Nashville Star

Jewel, John Rich, and Jeffrey Steele arrived at the Opryland Hotel in their Nashville Star tour buses and worked with the contestants to help them with their performances. Jewel mentored the guys, John the females, and Jeffrey was with the duos/groups. Trace Adkins sang "You're Gonna Miss This" as the guest performer.

Laura and Sophie are 17 and best friends. They sang "Stand By Your Man" last week which is a song that's older than their age. They sang a Judds' song this week "Rockin' with the Rhythm of the Rain" which they did well. The judges compared them with Taylor Swift who sings songs about what's going on in her life, so they feel the way I do about their singing age-appropriate songs.

Ashlee Hewitt sang "Ring of Fire" and did better than I thought she was going to. Her father is in Iraq, and she's one of 13 children!

Justin the model is great looking but needs to improve his singing. He is definitely hot and seems like a nice guy.

Alyson Gilbert sang Sting's "I'll Be Watching You" and did much better this week.

Pearl Heart is a trio of sisters the judges say need to come out of their shell and perform. They sang "Who Says You Can't Go Home" and have good harmony. I looked it up and Bon Jovi and Sugarland both recorded this. I'm more familiar with rock than country music, even though I try to keep up. Jewel told them to take dance lessons to improve their performances, and Billy Ray Cyrus said he took dance lessons that didn't help him at all. No kidding! How well we remember from DWTS!

Tommy Stanley sang "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" which John Rich wrote and sings, so that's brave. Apparently John was flattered because he played the guitar along with him. Jeffrey called him a kiss-ass, but John said it worked and offered to sing with him since Big Kenny isn't there. Tommy is in the Navy.

Gabe Garcia sang a CCR song "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" quite well.

Shawn Mayer sang Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" last week and George Jones's "He Stopped Loving Her Today" this week. John Rich said she was taking a big risk and one he wouldn't try with one of the best country songs of all time. Even I liked this one and bought it.

Coffey is the only black contestant and sang "Waiting for the World to Change" (John Mayer). I like his singing.

Melissa Lawson sang "Natural Woman" and did well until she got to some high notes which I thought weren't quite right. The judges complimented her singing and said she needs to come out and be herself more. She was in the bottom two but shouldn't have been. Her voice is better than most of the others, but she's overweight, which probably influences the votes.

Third Town wanted to sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" but Jeffrey talked them out of it, so they sang "Mountain Music" instead. Good harmonies and energetic performance. They were also in the bottom two, and the judges were pretty hard on them.

The results from the voters eliminated Third Town. I'm glad Melissa got another chance. I wish this show gave the judges more influence on the votes. Leaving it all to the audience bothers me. I'm not invested in any of them enough to have a favorite yet but do like several of them pretty well. I like Can You Duet better. The contestants were more talented than these are.

9:03:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com