Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Tuesday, July 08, 2008  
The Dust Bowl

I started a war on David's blog by typing Roll Tide. I wasn't cheering for Alabama but offering support to a frequent commenter on David's blog, Mike, who is a former Alabama football player. David was upset because he went to Penn State and his Nittany Lions roared and raged. One thing lead to another and then Mike linked to a hateful cheer from Bama fans against Tennessee. The war began!

The amusing part of all this is that I'm not that much of a football fan, which is blasphemy in the South, especially coming from the daughter of Southern royalty. Yes, my father was a football jock, and my mother was a beauty queen. See what I mean? However, I inherited my father's looks and my mother's athletic ability, so I had to develop my own talents and abilities as well as a sense of humor. It worked out.

I grew up going to all the football games. For those of you who don't know, my family was like those 50's TV sitcom families - wholesome, functional, and healthy. We'd cook out on Friday nights often with friends from school invited over, and then go to the ballgames, home and away. It was more of a social event for me than any understanding of and love for the game. I don't like to miss out on much. I attended all kinds of games, track meets, and wrestling matches when I taught high school in support of students and for the social aspects. My son was in the band, so I went to all kinds of parades and football games then, too. I also went to the plays and band and choir concerts.

As for being a Vols fan, I was when I went there but even before graduation haven't followed their games. Now I barely know who the coach is and just about none of the players. Pat Summit is a different story, and I've been proud of her for a really long time. My brother is a big UT fan and so is my son-in-law. My nephew Andy played baseball and was a good pitcher. He's for Alabama and even named his dog Bama. His sister Amy is a Kentucky fan, so it's interesting in their house. My son and his wife graduated from Sewanee, the University of the South, which barely has a football team but good parties and an excellent liberal arts education.

I've always loved to read, and as a young girl, I played with dolls and paperdolls. All of us kids in the neighborhood always played outside and were active, so I had a balanced life. (unlike now when I have to force myself to go to the gym) I was in plays in high school and college and got a degree in English and history. I can discuss movies with the best of them and as we all know, I watch way too much TV. I'm not sure where this paragraph is going, so I'll just end it.

So even though I started the war, my heart wasn't in it. But I'm such a smartass that it's fun to keep things stirred up. For David, I'll just say that Penn State is the only team in the Big 10 Conference I could be for. And as for Mike ... War Eagles!! And GO VOLS!

Vols


8:15:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com