Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, December 01, 2002  
Richard Marius

While listening to NPR again this morning, the commentary on music reminded me of a post I am writing in my head for Around the Bend. Look for it soon. In the meantime, I found something I wrote at the Institute for Writing Tennessee History where 25 of us went to UT and learned about oral history. It was led by Richard Marius who also organized the Governor's Academy for Teachers of Writing which I attended in 1989. This was special because we got to work with Richard every day. He led plenary sessions at the Academy (also held at UT for two weeks) and dropped in on some of our smaller groups. Many more attended the Academy - 220. We were divided into core groups, had guest speakers, got extra attention at the writing lab with instructors, and had so much fun! Wilma Dykeman and Nikki Giovanni read from their work for us, too. The History Institute was special in that we were a smaller group and enjoyed Richard's full attention. There were field trips to libraries, the Bount House, archives, and a special visit to Alex Haley's farm in Norris. We had dinner there after he greeted us and then spoke after dinner. What a gracious host and kind man he was!

Richard Marius and Alex Haley had plans for a series of books on oral history similar to The Foxfire Books. Part of the purpose of our being there was to work with our students and contribute to the books. Some of you Challenge students might remember the family history project we did and some of those memorable family stories. What was that one about the needle's eye? There were wonderful projects through the years! This was one of my favorites. Unfortunately, Alex Haley died the February after we were with him that summer. His death ended plans for the books and was a loss for the writing world and humanity.

My next post on Around the Bend that I plan to type later on today was assigned that summer. We were supposed to interview another participant for only one hour and then write a biographical sketch about them as a teacher. All those years as an English teacher reminding students that without conflict there is no story caused me to volunteer when Richard asked after hearing most of the stories if anyone didn't write about something that wasn't about happiness and good experiences.

10:13:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com