Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Tuesday, May 27, 2003  
Happy Birthday, Willie!

Last night on cable channel USA, Willie Nelson and Friends Live and Kickin' celebrated Willie's 70th birthday. I can't believe he's 70 until I realize how old I am and can't believe that either! Be sure to check out the video interviews and playlist on that link. It was so much fun to watch - with good music, laughs, and memories. There were some interesting guests and duets, since Willie sang with most of them. I've always liked Willie and his music. Mother and I went to one of his concerts at Opryland's outdoor theater and really enjoyed it all. He sang for well over two hours and really gave a lot to the audience.

It was held in NYC with an audience I wish I'd been part of. That is one taping I'd like to have seen! He sang and played "Nightlife" with Eric Clapton. I've always liked that song, especially when Willie sings it, and Eric Clapton playing the guitar is, well, Eric Clapton! Incredible! Willie's guitar style is recognizable and makes songs his. Sheryl Crow and Kris Kristofferson sang "Me and Bobby McGee" while he grinned all over her and looked like he was having a great time.

Diana Krall sang "Crazy" with the help of Elvis Costello and did well. I don't think anyone's ever performed it better than Patsy Cline, though. Linda Rondstadt's version was good. I really like that song even though it falls into the category of those co-dependent country songs. Those are good wallowing-in-it, crying-in-your-beer songs and have their place. We've all probably been there a time or two and know how it feels. What we hope is that we get past wanting drama in our relationships, believe we deserve better, and welcome it.

Nora Jones sang "Wurlitzer Prize" in memory of Waylon Jennings. I really do like her and keep planning to buy her CD's. Then one of my favorites Lyle Lovett joined the list. I've sung with him so many times in the car. One night when I went with friends to see Townes Van Zandt at Douglas Corner, Lyle Lovett was standing in the back in the audience. Wow! They are part of that Texas migration to Nashville along with Guy Clark, Nancy Griffith, and others.

I keep hearing sounds about how Nashville might be losing its hold on the music business, much like Hollywood is losing the movie business, because of independent labels. They need to learn a lesson from that and go back to when they took some chances on new talent and let them develop and find their audience. It's the same mentality in both places. I realize they are businesses, but something needs to change with businesses anyway. When it involves artistic aspects, the parts that make it most creative have a hard time surviving because of trying to make the "product" as commercial as possible. We have so many imitations and reheated past successes that it's even more refreshing to hear, see, and read something of quality and talent. Off soapbox for a while and back to Willie's birthday party now ....

Shelby Lynne did a wonderfully emotional and soulful "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" and made me remember how even though I'm not a big fan of country music in general, I like the country music that has a lot of blues in it. I'm going to go play some Bonnie Raitt now while I'm cleaning the kitchen, speaking of blues. When Leon Russell and Ray Charles sang "A Song for You" it got to Willie. He had tears in his eyes and was visibly moved by it. He discusses it on the video at the website. Ray Charles sang most of it and was powerful. This was Willie's favorite part of the evening, he said.

It was a hoot to see Steven Tyler and Willie singing together. They sang "One Time Too Many" and did it once country and again rock. Lots of fun! Whose lips and mouth are bigger, Tyler's or Mick Jagger's? He touched Melissa's hair (it's like spun gold) and talked to her when she worked at Peaceful Planet, a vegan restaurant, and several members of Aerosmith ate there once when they were in town. When they cleaned themselves up, they really did it! One of them said they had to eat healthfully and take care of themselves to be able to perform and keep the schedule they do. How 'bout that? But then again, Tyler did add to his birthday wishes, "Here's to Hell. May we have as much fun there as we did getting there."

There were others on the show too - Shania Twain (who looked grungy like she'd been raking leaves except for the shoes - those jeans were too bad for Goodwill), Ray Price, Paul Simon, Wyclef Jean, ZZ Top, Toby Keith ("I'll Never Smoke Weed with Willie Again" got a big laugh), Kenny Chesney, and John Mellencamp who all did well, too. I taped it so I can watch it again.

Hey! If any of you got here from a search and read the whole thing, please leave a comment and/or sign my guestmap! Thanks for stopping by! Glad to have you join us!

1:32:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com