Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Saturday, July 26, 2003  
Photo Album

Earl pointed out that I don't have but one friend based on my photo album, and he's the lone one. I got the idea that he likes having the spotlight but thought it made me look pitiful. I'll have to take some pictures of my friends who would be willing for me to post them on an album. I have some but don't have a scanner and would need to take them with the digital camera. So if any of you have photos you'd send me to post there, I will be happy to. Thanks!

Charlie

Charlie sent me his photo to add to the album, so now I have two visible friends. Charlie teaches 8th grade accelerated English in Maine. We met back in the days when there was an NEA section on AOL where we teachers could go for unlimited time. That's when we paid so much a month for five hours and then paid extra for minutes beyond that. I didn't stay online very much then because we also had to pay long distance charges to Nashville. When that changed, I'd stay in the NEA section reading the bulletin boards and go into the chat room occasionally. It was like being in a national teacher's lounge. We could discuss what other systems were doing and find out about benefits and other jobs, etc. It was fun.

Most of the time I looked at the bulletin boards about gifted education to see what was going on in other states and to compare notes with other teachers of gifted students. Charlie posted his curriculum on there, and it was right down my alley. We were fascinated by the same things and continued emailing after my initial one to him asking about his classes. I guess we've been in touch now for almost 10 years. One summer several years ago I went to New England to visit friends from the Navy days and included a visit to Charlie. It was my first time in that part of the country, and I really enjoyed seeing the sights as well as spending time with friends. They were all wonderful hosts and made me feel so welcome. When Charlie can get past my Southern accent, we communicate well and talk about everything. Not many days go by that we don't email each other.

While I was there, I went on a walking tour of Boston, including the Freedom Trail and famous colleges, with Dennis and Elaine. Never again will I attempt something so foolish as walking up and back down all 294 steps of the Bunker Hill Monument! My legs buckled when I finally made it down and then I could barely make it back across Boston Common to the car. I was extremely sore for days afterward and had to walk backwards down the steps at Charlie's since my room was upstairs! I have no idea why I thought I could do that. Don't believe them - the view isn't that great from there. Not worth it! They took me to see Blue Man Group (if you ever get a chance to see them, please do) and other places in the area. We also met other friends from the Navy who live in CT at Newport and saw those summer "cottages" there which are incredible mansions. We met Charlie at Kennebunkport, and I restrained myself from throwing rocks at the Bushes' house there. I just sneered and took pictures. Charlie showed me around his neck of the woods and took me to see Sweeney Todd in Brunswick. I got to see Bowdoin College where Hawthorne went. He and a friend of his prepared a lobster dinner with all the trimmings where I met more people. We visited his school since we teachers like to see all that. It was a wonderful trip with fantastic hosts and friends!!

1:04:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com