Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, October 19, 2003  
Skool Daze

As I'm preparing to return for the second quarter of this first term tomorrow, I've been thinking more about what I hope to accomplish and how to get there. I like this schedule we have - 2 weeks off after every 9 weeks. This makes one grading period four weeks and the other one five weeks. Each term equals a year's course. This is why I'll have new students after Christmas break. We're on a modified year-round block schedule and teach three classes a term which equals six instead of the five a year we taught with the six periods a day schedule. Classes are 90 minutes long. Students can take 8 classes a year which enables them to have more credits but not to graduate early. Some of them have study halls or work in the office or for a teacher during one block. Most of them take four classes but some repeat courses they failed. I have some of those in that infamous 3rd block class with others already on that path. Those are biding their time until they can take the GED while my 4th block class is preparing for the ACT and SAT.

What began as helping children have self-esteem took a turn somewhere into entitlement. Rewarding positive behavior and ignoring the bad hasn't worked too well the way it's been practiced by parents and teachers. Trends come and go in education and parenting, but children need to be taught to think in order to become independent citizens who contribute in a positive way to society. There are cetain

A philosophy I agree with and still use is Hiam Ginott's Between Parent and Child. He believes in letting children realize that they have choices which result in consequences. They understand responsibility for their actions that way. He believes in correcting behavior without attacking the child's personality. It's a kind way to treat people and still maintain boundaries.

1:43:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com