Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, July 03, 2005  
Hypericon, Traffic, and a Pretty Girlfriend

Last weekend Melissa and Brian were involved in HyperiCon a science fiction/fantasy convention in Nashville. They have been working on the planning and execution of it for months, and Melissa was one of the guest artists. We'd planned well in advance for me to hang out with Brendan while they were occupied at the Con. What a hardship for a grandmother, right? I stayed there at the hotel with them and then branched out. Friday evening Brendan and I stayed in the room a while and watched cartoons and played. Then we went out to get some dinner. Road construction prevented an easy route and is becoming a standard inconvenience in Nashville. The hotel was near the Stadium and used to be the King of the Road way back when.

Poor little Brendan has suffered through so much of his teething and was in pain with back molars. He also drools all the time like his father did. I used to look at other babies and toddlers who could wear their clothes without bibs and wonder when Brian would ever do that. Now it's the same with Brendan. Drooly-mouths, both of them. Fortunately, Brian hardly does it at all now. Brendan was awake off and on all night crying, bless his heart, so we were all sleepy the next day.

Saturday after some breakfast in the hospitality suite, Brendan and I took off for Charlotte to Mimi's. We spent the day with Mother, and we both enjoyed him so much. On the way there, I stopped off at Stephanie's drug store in Charlotte to ask her about something that would be soothing and helpful for Brendan. She said that must be little Brian and suggested something that really was helpful. Then we played and visited with Sally and Mae who were at Mother's. I drove to Dickson to get gas with Mother and Brendan, so he could take a nap. Driving him does that trick. Mother had blueberries and grapes for him since he loves them so much. He also ate well and had some good meals. One of the toys Mother has that he likes to play with had some songs on it, so he insisted that I sing "Camptown Races" and "I've Been Working on the Railroad" about 20,000 times. Hey! It's the first time in my life anyone begged me TO sing! He and I sang quite a bit there and in the car. Yes, this is how I found out about the misheard song lyrics. Melissa said I had the lines backwards, so naturally I had to check it out on the net when I got home. We got back to the hotel just minutes after he fell asleep in the car, so Melissa was able to meet me in the parking lot and carry him back to the room without waking him. He slept really well the whole night. Everyone got lots of sleep. Brian and Melissa said they had a good day at the Con with panels and games. I'm glad they did because I had a wonderful day with their son.

Sunday was quite interesting! We managed to make it to breakfast before they closed the buffet. Then we went to the ConSuite. Brian and Melissa went to their respective places while Brendan and I hung out in the suite, playing, singing, and chatting. He noticed some people having lots of fun at another table. Their laughter and conversation were magnetic, and he was drawn to them as he sidled up to the table and surveyed the lay of land. Eventually I noticed that he was chatting and then laughing. Before too long, he had charmed his way onto the lap of the prettiest woman in the room who was "getting his nose" and laughing and playing with him. She's a vivacious brunette in her late 20's I'd guess, and he was entranced! Her name is Alethea, but she told him to call her Lee. When I took him to the restroom to change his diaper, I said, "Lee is fun." Brendan said, "Lee is pretty!" It begins already! He doesn't usually warm up to people that quickly, but Alethea and the others did it right. When he can connect on his own time, he is very friendly, but if they rush him, he shies away. I understand that and am glad he does it. From the time he was born, he did that. He'd gaze at you as if he's figuring out what's going on and who you are before he engages himself. The boy knows who to schmooze since this was the table where the guest writers and artists were sitting, so he gravitated to the most creative people in the room. Alethea posted some sweet things about Brendan along with her account of the Con on her blog. It's very well-written and entertaining.

4:46:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com