Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, August 29, 2005  
Alfred E. Neuman & Pomingos

Melissa called Saturday evening to see if I could keep Brendan on short notice. They were at some friends' house they see every week, and Brendan screamed and cried every time he saw one of them. She said they took him outside and walked around where he was fine, but as soon as he saw or heard the guy's name, he started up again. The only way she said she could describe it was an Afred E. Neuman pomingo kind of thing. I told her I totally understood and that I'd meet her at their house in an hour. Brendan and I had a good time playing, reading, singing, and being silly. He was fine.

Now to explain the references ...

When Brian was around Brendan's age, friends came to visit from Memphis. We drove around Nashville and then went to lunch at Ireland's. The waitress led us to be seated in an area that had a picture of Alfred E. Neuman on the wall. Brian took one look at it and started this screamy crying and ran to the door where he huddled beside a potted plant still hysterical. I tried to get him to tell me what scared him so much, and he pointed toward the picture. I said that he'd seen him on MAD Magazine, which didn't help. I explained to the waitress that we had to sit somewhere else since he wouldn't go in that room. Once we were seated where he couldn't see the picture, he was fine.

Another time when I visited that same friend, we went to the Memphis Zoo. Brian made it fine looking at lions, tigers, elephants, and all kinds of animals. He was a little shaky about the fish since the room was dark except for the fish tanks, but he was OK. Then when we started to go see the birds, he did his hysteria routine again and ran out of the building. I asked him what was wrong, and he said, "Pomingos! The pomingos scare me!" He had seen flamingos in books, but somehow another odd thing freaked him out. Like father, like son in some weirdo ways, or perhaps it was that friend. Hmmmm?

6:32:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com