Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, January 30, 2006  
Too Old to Boogie

Earl and I went to the Exit/In last night to see Susan Tedeschi in concert. We went to Nashville early for Earl to buy a new flat-screen monitor and to look at digital cameras for me. I'm going to buy one later after shopping and comparing prices. Earl said I have progressed to a higher level and can do more with one now, and I'm looking forward to learning new things. Then we went to P.F. Chang's for dinner. I had the chicken in lettuce wraps, hot and sour soup, shrimp in lobster sauce, and green tea, which I enjoyed very much. Earl liked his meal, too.

We thought we gave ourselves enough time to get to the Exit/In early enough to get good seats since the tickets were general admission. This shows how long it's been since we went to a club instead of an auditorium with seats for a concert. When we got there, the small area with tables and chairs was full as well as the stools at the bar and on the top level. Many, many, many people were standing around the walls and all over the place. I asked the bouncer who stamped my hand (long time since that, too) if there weren't enough seats. He said you have to get there early to get a seat. A SEAT! This meant we had to stand for over 3 hours crammed up with all those people who were drinking with one hand and smoking with the other. Long time since I had to deal with my hair and clothes smelling like smoke and with trying to breathe second-hand smoke. Twenty years ago I'd have been doing all this in heels and not have felt so put out. Now it was heaven when a couple of people left and we could sit down for the encore and still see the stage.

Fortunately, Susan Tedeschi is great in concert and really gave a wonderful performance. Her voice is strong, powerful, and moving. When she sang "Lord Protect My Child," I felt it down to my toes. She has quite a repertoire and sings songs from Jimi Hendrix to Dylan to the Stones to Aretha Franklin to Iris Dement. For an encore, she sang "Angel from Montgomery" which is one of my favorite songs. I am a huge John Prine fan, and he wrote and recorded it. Bonnie Raitt's recording of it has been the one I like best, but Susan's recording equals it. She's an entertaining woman singing good songs.

My feet have hurt today and I've creaked around some, but I'm not hungover. I gave that up some time ago, so some changes that have taken place in the last twenty years have helped the next day, and the smoke smell is gone after a good shower and laundering my clothes. I do miss some of my "bad" habits. Ironically, now that I have all this time, opportunity has stopped knocking.

5:13:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com