Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, March 22, 2006  
Marriage and Other Institutions

Tina and I were talking about all kinds of things on our day trip to Chattanooga to see Kathy and get things on sale at Scrapbook Heaven Monday. It's not this simple, but we came to a few conclusions about marriage. Both of us have parents with good marriages. They are/were friends as well as partners. We, however, haven't fared so well and wondered if we thought such good marriages just happened and were supposed to be that way since that's what we saw because it seems that people who grew up with divorced parents and dysfunctional parents often work really hard to be sure they don't make the same mistakes. Some people make better choices to begin with and then work at their marriages to keep them close and supportive.

Ell wrote about her childhood and how it affected her relationships which caused me to think about other aspects of it, too.

I do well with my children, grandchildren, friends, family members, and students, but not so much with men. I've had a lot of fun with them and definitely enjoyed their company. The long-term relationship that lasts throughout life (or even more than 10 years) hasn't been there. Maybe I should be happy that familial relationships and friendships are fulfilling and close, and I am. At this point in my life I'm not sure I want more than friendship from men. I can't envision myself getting married again after 30 years of being divorced and don't see the point of it. It's nice to have people to go places with, do things together, share interests, and talk with. That's a lot.

9:34:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com