Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, November 08, 2006  
Election

Yesterday the time went by pretty fast because we were busy. Almost 600 people voted in our precinct, but this time we finished at 7:00 and got everything packed and closed and ready to go at 7:15. It was good to visit with people I hadn't seen for a while. I do get tired of explaining the machines over and over again, but that's why I make the big bucks. Yep, $75! I don't want to think about how much that is an hour. I like sitting at the machine and printing out the numbers the best. It's not so interactive, and I'm not on my feet. Mostly though it's good to see all the people voting and taking it seriously. I don't understand why people don't vote but wish some hadn't.

I knew the marriage amendment would pass and wasn't at all surprised because I know where I live. At least some of us made our views known and voted against it. I don't know why people get so upset that gay people exist and don't want them to have the same rights the rest of us have, but then I don't understand a lot of things. I do wish it weren't part of our constitution. Some of the voters were confused since the wording in the amendment was difficult to understand. A large Church of Christ ran full-page ads in the local paper explaining it and telling people to vote YES, so anyone who read that or went to most of the churches knew their stand. The Episcopal Church where I'm a member wasn't one of them, and the Methodist Church I grew up in didn't teach me to be judgemental and exclusionary. Well, apparently I got over that, didn't I?

Harold Ford, Jr. ran a good race but unfortunately didn't win. It's really difficult for Democrats to win national elections in Tennessee. I miss the Solid South. Now we have to hear Corker's whiney nasal voice that is even worse than Frist's voice which I didn't think was possible. Those Corker ads were the slimiest, dirtiest I've seen for a long time. Thank goodness we don't have to hear any of them again for two more years. Every commercial break had several political ads during them to the extent that almost no products were advertised. I'm glad that's over. Ford did carry Dickson County and our precinct, so I'm happy about that. Just wish the state had gone in that direction.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi! That's really exciting! She's third in line of sucession to the presidency and the most powerful woman in our government now. We now have the majority in both the House and the Senate. That makes dealing with the next two years a little easier. I don't know if the budget will recover for a very long time. Not only was the budget balanced when Clinton left office, but there was a surplus. Now we're in greater debt than imaginable. Maybe something can be done to control all this spending and bring some more money into the treasury. It has to happen.

No more Rummy! Enough said.

I'm tired today from the long day on my feet yesterday but happy with the outcome of the election. (well, mostly)

8:16:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com