Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, April 16, 2007  
Fun Weekend!

Brendan was here Friday night and Saturday while Brian and Melissa were on a panel at a conference in Nashville. We had a good time, and he was extremely energetic and excited. I heard that silence that alerts all parents that means something is going on. I went in the bathroom where he had all the drawers open and all the dental floss in a tangle on the floor from two new packs of it I got from the dental hygienist last week. It was probably a lot of fun pulling it out and watching it accumulate. Fortunately he didn't get into my lipstick the way Brian did at least once, but there's still time. We read books, played, watched the Teletubbies, baked muffins, and all kinds of fun things.

Brendan and I went by to pick up Tina and on to meet Brian and Melissa at the Bellevue Library. It was good to see them and hear about their presentation. They took Brendan to the Red Caboose Playground next to the library to play. He loves it there, and it's such a neat park.

Tina and I ate dinner at Calypso and then on to TPAC to see Minton Sparks and Friends. The White Trash Cafe sponsored a reception before the performance with some tasty looking food, but we weren't hungry and didn't sample any of it. Rodney Crowell sang and hosted Minton's show, which was a treat. One of the songs he co-wrote with Vince Gill and sang has the line, "It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your ass out all day long." He said they decided that song would dispel their image as sensitive men. It was hilarious (and true). Elizabeth Cook is also on this series sounds like a cross between Loretta Lynn and early Emmylou with some Dolly Parton thrown in, too. I really like her and bought her CD as well as her husband's who plays and sings with her. Check her out on Amazon or here or here. We met Molly and Rachel, and Rachel's former college roommate there and really enjoyed the evening.

We're going to the last of these shows in the series May 12. I hope Brian and Melissa can go, too. Earl's coming down and several other converts will be added to the group. Here's a description from TPAC about the next show:

Minton Sparks returns to TPAC following last year’s sold out series, this time with Minton Sparks & Friends @ TPAC: Smokin’ Word, a four-show series featuring her wildly popular and original blend of music, poetry and storytelling, as well as special music guest artists at each performance. Joining Minton onstage at the April 14 show are Tim Carroll, Elizabeth Cook, Rodney Crowell, John Jackson and Will Kimbrough. The series wraps up on May 12 with special guest Nanci Griffith. The series offers a uniquely intimate theater experience to ticket buyers, including reserved seating in Johnson Theater that includes cabaret tables and a pre-show reception compliments of the White Trash Cafe.
Sunday Paige, Linda, and I went to the Artrain exhibit of American Indian art. That was really interesting, and we all had fun together. Here's some information about it. I love being retired!

1:51:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com