Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Tuesday, November 27, 2007  
Book

Ell tagged me for a book meme on her blog, so here it is:

Instructions:

Grab the nearest book.
Open the book to page 123.
Find the fourth sentence.
Post the next three sentences along with these instructions.
Don’t search around and look for the “coolest” book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.
State the book title and author.


She savored Sundays like some people savor a fine steak or a glass of wine.

Priscilla pulled back the yellowed sheer curtain over the window in her tiny kitchen and looked out over the parking lot in the back of her apartment building. That damn Mr. Berriman was supposed to have shoveled the snow and salted the walks yesterday afternoon, but of course he'd not taken care of it, and when Priscilla stepped outside last night for a breath of fresh air, she'd been nearly upended by the icy concrete. Now, she noticed, the walks were clean.

This is from By Blood Written by Steven Womack that I mentioned in an earlier post. I was a little worried about using this book because it's a suspense/mystery, and I was afraid I'd read something that would tip me off about the plot I didn't need to know because I haven't gotten to page 123 yet. Fortunately, it didn't. Interesting story about this book that Steve told Saturday at the book signing and also wrote in the acknowledgements of the book. One of his award-winning Harry James Denton series of mysteries had a murder at the end of the novel that was similar to an actual murder that took place in Nashville around ten years ago. A friend on the Metro Police Murder Squad called Steve to tell him he was on the list of people to interview because of that. Steve said there was a long, uncomfortable silence until he eventually told the police officer that he didn't kill those girls. The officer told him he knew he didn't and told the investigators that. Then, as writers do, Steve said he wondered what would happen if a writer committed murders as research for his novels. This is the book that was inspired by that experience.

The sentences I posted are about a retired Metro high school English teacher I can't wait to learn more about since I could possibly identify with her. One of the reviewers on Amazon wrote that she was her favorite character. His books are really entertaining and good. I recommend them highly.

6:06:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com