Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, January 27, 2008  
Cat and Dog Candidates

It gets worse. Instead of being a cat candidate, THEY have now become Billary, pit bull candidates. This is the campaign strategy they've used before but are now using to attack the young pup. I hope Obama will try to stay above the fray and use humor to deal with them. It makes him look the way he says he wants to be as one who can unite the country. As far as I'm concerned, I hope Billary continues to lose ground. First they compared Obama to Martin Luther King and now to Jesse Jackson. Keep 'em coming and let the other two discuss the issues.

I'm voting out of my demographic since older women seem to be for Hillary. I'm not for or against any of them because of race or gender. That I would vote for a white male when we have had viable woman, black, and hispanic candidates shows that I go by their issues and plans; however, Biden is not running now. I'm a Yellow Dog Democrat and will vote for our candidate in the general election (not enthusiastically if it's Hillary) and am definitely a liberal socially. I consider myself fiscally conservative and politically moderate, though.

I don't understand how giving us those tax rebate checks will help the economy except briefly when many people spend them while we are so much in debt. It seems like personally running up more credit card debt by buying a family member something when it's already over the limit and the checking account is overdrawn and there's no savings. Sure it helps the store that sold it and gives the buyer more stuff but increases the debt. I don't have an MBA or degree in economics, but it doesn't make sense to me. The stimulus package seems like putting a band-aid on a geyser (to mix my metaphors, uh, similes).

As citizens we've never been asked to sacrifice at all but to consume more during this war. Once again putting this on a personal level, if we have major expenses, don't we need to cut back somewhere? Sometimes we need to take a second and third job (I did) and spend less, so we can pay for them. Cutting taxes seems to me to be counter-productive especially when money for the war has been borrowed instead of paid for with our own money. If China calls in those loans, we're sunk, and they aren't the only ones we've borrowed this money from. Saying our economy is good when we owe so much is something else I just don't get. It seems like saying that somone is doing really well financially just because he has a house, car, job, and toys but is in debt over his head and can't afford to go to the doctor and juggles his bills. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it might not be rotten underneath. What am I missing?

1:16:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com