Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Tuesday, March 18, 2008  
DWTS - The Women

Tonight the women danced, and it was difficult without Maksim, but I managed to carry on. I miss him! I'm typing this post while I watch but can rewind with my favorite gadget the DVR.

First is Shannon Elizabeth, I thought I wasn't familiar with until I read her bio. She was in Jay and Silent Bob Fight Back and Love Actually which I saw and American Pie and Scary Movie which I didn't. Shannon is also an accomplished poker player taking third out of sixty-four invited professionals at the 2007 National Heads-Up Poker Championship. That's impressive. She danced a cha-cha with Derek Hough. He said the pretty girls tend to go home early, so he wanted to work to avoid that. She was sort of stiff and had no hip action but did much better than many have on the first night. She said she's a tomboy and looked it. Len agreed with me about her legwork and lack of hip movement. (Yea me for beginning to notice technique!) Bruno said she had potential. Carrie Ann said she had great energy and "worked it" but agreed with the other two about what she needs to work on. Scores 7, 7, 7.

Monica Seles the tennis star dances with Jonathan Roberts. Theirs is the foxtrot, and she looks awkward during rehearsal - in fact, he calls her El Stiffo. She's frustrated and concerned. Let's hope her championship competitiveness takes hold. Well, she improved with rehearsal but is still really stiff and gangly. It makes me feel sad for her. She tried. The judges gave her advice about how to improve while recognizing her lack of grace and experience. It was sort of uncomfortable for everyone, and she was so nervous. She said since she missed a lot growing up that this was her prom. Her score was all 5's.

Marissa Jaret Winokur created the role of Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray on Broadway and won a Tony as well as many other awards for it. She said she was on there representing girls who aren't a size 2. Her personality is exuberant and bubbly. She and Tony Dovolani are doing the cha-cha. She has the moves and works it. Fun and entertaining! The audience was on its feet, and the judges loved her performance but thought there needed to be more technique. Len fussed at Tony for not giving her more to do. I hope she gets to stay. Score: all 6's.

Priscilla Presley was interviewed at Graceland to begin this. Interesting, but she did say she was best known for being married to Elvis Presley. Her partner Louis Van Amstel said he was so excited to dance with her. During rehearsal she said she's a perfectionist and was nervous and then said Elvis was nervous before performances. Her foxtrot was graceful and elegant. The judges praised her and gave a few pointers. Len told Louis that his choreography was perfect. Lisa Marie was in the audience cheering her on. Score: all 8's! Wow! She said she thought acting in comedies was hard, going around the country making speeches was hard, but that doing this is the hardest thing she's ever done. Way to go, woman in your 60's! I certainly couldn't do it!

Kristi Yamaguchi and Mark Ballas are doing the foxtrot. She said Apolo set the bar really high for Olympic skaters on there, but she definitely rose to the challenge. She's married with two children now. Her training as an Olympic medalist is apparent. This is a smooth, graceful foxtrot and pretty to watch. Exquisite! I loved watching her skate and hope she goes all the way on this! The judges said it was the best first performance they've seen on there and gave her all 9's!!! Incredible! Hey, Ell, she just might win this!

Marlee Matlin, Oscar winner and also deaf, is dancing with first-time DWTS professional Fabian Sanchez, so I don't know much about him. I don't know how she's going to do this, but watching their rehearsal, I got some ideas. She's adventurous and brave, and I applaud her already. Now they are dancing the cha-cha and doing well. She's moving right with the music and with him. She was so good! The judges praised her performance and Fabian's instruction. Her scores: 7, 7, 8. She has four children and is doing it for them and also said why not - life is too short not to try things.

Predictions: Based on dancing the first to go will probably be Adam Corolla, Monica Seles, and then Penn Jillette. The judges votes count half, but the other half are from the TV audience, whose votes have to do more with the number of fans each contestant has and popularity. The best dancers have made it to the finals, but sometimes some good dancers have been eliminated before their time and some have stayed too long who needed to leave. That's where the fans come in and can be really frustrating. This season I'm going to try to keep up with the updates and will have opinions as I get to know more about them. It's a little hard to know yet who might be in the final four, but there are some good dancers this season. I'm looking forward to it again.

7:37:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com