Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, May 05, 2008  
DWTS - Week Eight

They now have to perform two dances each. It gets harder and harder for them. Tonight there was a ballroom round and a Latin round again. They are allowed to do one lift per dance now.

Kristi and Mark

Dance: Quickstep Score: 29
Dance: Samba Score: 26 Total Score: 55

The heat is on since last week was the first time Kristi wasn't in first place. In rehearsal she kept telling Mark she wanted a lift, but he discouraged her because he said it wasn't in the character of the dance. He gave in and did one right at the end. I love watching the quickstep, and they did really well. The judges all liked it, and Len said there was a great combination of shadow and light. I think that means they mixed it up in a good way. The men gave her 10's and Carpy Ann a 9.

They were not so impressed with their samba. All of them agreed that it had speed and energy but not as much of the rhythm except Bruno who pointed out the difficulty of what she accomplished. Samantha the hostess is small and fit but looks larger beside Kristi who is a tiny little fit thing.

Mario and Karina

Dance: Viennese Waltz Score: 27
Dance: Jive Score: 26 Total Score: 53

They worked and worked on their lifts in the studio and in the pool. Karina was tired of being dropped on the mat. Mario wanted to prove that he could do ballroom dancing and not just Latin. Bruno called Mario the prince of ballroom and said he was polished and elegant. Len praised him, too, after saying his ballroom dancing before tonight was as elegant as Brittany Spears getting out of a car showing things we didn't want to see. Ouch!

Their jive was bouncy and fun. They danced to "Little Bitty Pretty One" but Len said Mario's feet were bloody big ugly ones. Bruno was outraged about how harsh Len was and Tom said he had a squinchy face. Cougar Ann was more than obviously wearing no bra under her shiny pink dress and it must have been cold in there. She thought their dance was what rock 'n roll was all about.

Marissa and Tony

Dance: Foxtrot Score: 25
Dance: Mambo Score: 25 Total Score: 50

Marissa said after surviving cancer she had seven years ago, nothing stresses her out as much now. I know what she means but mostly try to avoid stressful stuff. I don't know if I don't get as stressed or am part zombie. Dancing with Marissa brings out something good in Tony I haven't seen before. They danced the foxtrot to "New York New York" and had encouraging comments from the judges. Their mambo looked fun, and Marissa's footwork was either good or off at times. She has a happy, enthusiastic attitude. Sometimes there's no pleasing Len. He wanted her to be raunchier but criticized Mario for being too steamy a couple of weeks ago. He's a crank tonight. Marissa and Tony are thrilled and say they are having fun.

Jason and Edyta

Dance: Tango Score: 29
Dance: Samba Score: 23 Total Score: 52

Edyta made Jason get a spray tan. Yeah, that's what I thought. He said he already had one. She was trying to get him ready to do the samba since he's stronger in ballroom. Edyta told him it was the most flamboyant dance of all of them. He felt silly. So she made him laugh with a silly costume, wig, and maracas. That's where the spray tan came in. Their tango was intense and dramatic with quite a lift there at the end. Crazy Ann and Bruno exclaimed about how beautiful they both are to watch and said they keep getting better and better. Len said it was more of an Argentine tango and Bruno exploded that the tango was created in Argentina. Drama queen fight! Bruno told Edyta that he's never seen her dance better than this season with Jason and that he is right there with her. All right!

Thank goodness, Latin music for their samba. Jason did well but not as much as he did with the foxtrot. He did another amazing lift in this dance, moved his hips, and was sexy as always. The judges said he looked uncomfortable and lost rhythm and wasn't as focused. Jason said he'd heard much worse criticism and would be all right. He said he was OK with the score and would keep trying harder. Bruno said the samba is a very difficult dance and that he and Kristi both had trouble with it. Well! Len gave him a 7 - such a downer.

Cristián and Cheryl

Dance: Tango Score: 28
Dance: Mambo Score: 29 Total Score: 57

Cheryl's challenge is to choreograph routines that Cristian can do with one arm. He's determined to continue and proclaims, "No pain, no mirror ball trohpy" but in a sexy Chilean accent. Their tango (to "Beat It"?) was intense as it should be despite the music. The judges praised Cheryl's choreography and said they couldn't tell he had an injury from the way he danced. Good job!

Energetic and active mambo! Wow! The judges agreed and echoed what they said earlier about their performance and Cheryl's choreography. Cristian said he should have been dancing with one arm way before because these are the best scores he's had.

Based on their lowest score and a feeling, Marissa will probably go home this week. So far I've made accurate predictions, but from now on, it will be more difficult.

Something neat - Marlee Matlin has been in the audience ever since she left cheering on the others.

Tomorrow night the judges top ten favorite dances from the first five seasons will be performed. I hope the western dance by Cheryl Burke and Drew Lachey will be one of them. Let's see, also the paso doble Maks and Mel performed might be included. I wish John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgensen would be on again, but they probably won't since neither has made an appearance on there at all. It will be interesting to see which dances the judges choose. There will be many guests including Mario Lopez with the Broadway cast of A Chorus Line and Maksim dancing with Mel B! It's the 100th episode, and I've watched every one of them.

10:04:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com