Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, May 28, 2008  
Hamilton Jordan

In the referenced article in my post about Hamilton Jordan, he makes the following recommendations in Newsweek.
I consider the Obama operation the most brilliant political campaign in my lifetime. Yet in the weeks to come questions about how Obama will implement his platform of change will receive greater scrutiny from the press and the electorate. By announcing some smart additions to his team now, he could go a long way toward heading off the GOP's general election attacks.

What if Obama, in the next 30 to 60 days:

* Says he will name Independent Mike Bloomberg as his "domestic czar," given broad authority and charged with reconciling our country's fiscal mess with our domestic needs and opportunities. Bloomberg is a highly talented leader and visionary who has been tremendously successful in business and in politics. Bloomberg deserves a much larger stage to perform on. He might or might not want the portfolio of Secretary of Treasury, but having a person of his experience on the Obama team would reassure Wall Street and reinforce Obama's message of bringing all Americans together, regardless of party affiliation, to bring about change.

* Says he will name mainstream Democrat Sam Nunn, highly respected former senator and expert on defense issues and foreign policy (who has traveled the world for the past decade trying to contain the spread of nuclear weapons) to be his choice for Secretary of State. Here is a man who can go toe to toe with John McCain on any defense or foreign policy issue and enjoys the respect and admiration of foreign leaders around the world.

* Says he will name retiring Republican U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel, from Nebraska, war hero, successful businessman and thoughtful critic of the Iraq War, to be his Secretary of Defense to rebuild our nation's military power.

All three of these people have been vetted in years of public service and are widely known by the media, the political elite and the business community. Probably the one group that knows them least well will be the young Obama voters who make up the heart and soul of his movement. While there may be some understandable suspicion of these "old white guys" among Obama's true believers, the fact is that in a general election campaign he and his team will need to convince voters that they have the broad experience and knowledge to bring about the changes they believe in.

Sooner rather than later Sen. Obama must challenge McCain's view of U.S. interests in the world and convince general election voters that he has the means and the talent to implement his coherent vision and strategy. And he must buttress himself from attacks that will inevitably challenge his foreign policy bona fides. Who better to do it than an A-team of extremely experienced, competent, and tested professionals?
Suddenly the dynamics would change. It would no longer be the war hero versus the young community organizer and attorney. It would be John McCain and an old view of the world versus Team Obama—the best minds and combined experiences in U.S. politics—advocating Obama's new vision of U.S. political, military and economic interests in the world.

It is not easy making key leadership decisions in the middle of a campaign and asking people to serve in advance of an election. And there are some legal restrictions that would have to be understood and addressed; jobs cannot officially be promised in advance of an election. But Obama could at least get this or another team to say publicly that they would "seriously consider" or "look with interest" on an invitation to be part of the Obama administration.

It is not easy to take bold steps when the Obama campaign is riding a wave of adulation and risks fixing what isn't broken or, more important, upsetting supporters. Yet doing so would not only strengthen Obama's prospects of getting elected, it would be consistent with his message of changing the way Washington works—or doesn't work, as the case may be.
Who do you think Obama should choose for his running mate? What about cabinet posts?

1:59:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com