Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, June 09, 2008  
Nashville Reality

I like to watch movies, TV shows, and videos that feature Nashville for several reasons. It's fun to recognize landmarks and places I see regularly and to learn new things. I've seen some pretty bad ones just for that reason, like that sort of reality show that followed some singers trying to break into the business. I had to quit watching. I also watch the CMA and other country music award shows, so I'll know who the performers are. I don't like to live this close without knowing a little since I don't follow country music much at all. Some of them I definitely know about since I don't live under a rock and like several of them.

Something I hope happens is that Nashville is shown in a positive way. It's a pretty good place to live, and I'm proud of those aspects. With all this in mind, I've been watching Can You Duet and have just begun watching Nashville Star and HGTV's Design Star since that's being taped in Nashville.

I haven't done any recapping because I think I'm the only one watching Can You Duet that I know. A couple I really like on there, Joey and Rory, played in Dickson Friday night at an outdoor venue I read about in the local paper. I really like Caitlin and Will, too. It's down to the finals Friday night, so we'll know then who won. This one is decided completely by the judges, and I like those better than the ones where the judges have input but the total decision is made by viewer voting.

Unfortunately, Nashville Star is like American Idol in the voting and has Billy Ray Cyrus as host. You might remember how much I complained about him on DWTS; however, he's in his element here and OK. I like the judges on it since they are Jewel, John Rich (Big & Rich - "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" which Cheryl & Drew danced to in one of my favorite dances on DWTS), and Jeffrey Steele (songwriter). John Rich went to high school here for a while, but I didn't know him since I wasn't teaching there then. There are some good singers and performers competing, so I'll stick with it. One of them wears his Navy uniform, which brings back memories of ironing those things! Not as easy as you'd think! The judges aren't afraid to sing or play the guitar to make a point about their criticism. They aren't mean but tell them what will help the performers. I like that. If any of you watch this, let me know. I'll make a place for us to discuss it. Aha! The judges just sent someone home, so maybe they do have more input than I thought. I hope so, but Jewel said America is voting after tonight. Oh well.

Design Star is being held in Nashville for some reason. Anybody know why? Whatever the reason, it will be interesting to see how the places are showcased. I like to see what the designers do with the rooms they work on.

nashville 2
See that building on the left? It's the BellSouth Tower, which we call the Bat Building because it looks like Batman. Go figure.

This blog "Nashville Daily Photo" gives a well-rounded view of Nashville. Check it out when you get a chance. I enjoy looking through it but haven't made a comment yet. I'm a lurker. I have lurkers - those silent readers who sometimes let me know they exist.

10:20:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com