Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, July 09, 2008  
Too Much Reality

In typical TV mentality, if one of something works, let's do many of them! There are way too many competitions that are in the same format. I enjoy Dancing with the Stars and thought I'd try some others that aren't on Bravo. A little of these goes a long way.

On Bravo, the judges make the decisions about who stays and who goes. Their competitions are based on ability and not popularity with the audience who does not get to vote. We watch, blog, comment, and sometimes complain. I started watching Project Runway from the first season and was hooked. I also watch Top Chef and enjoy that one and then added Shear Genius and Top Design, which are OK but no comparison with Project Runway. Tim Gunn and the designers make that show, and the judges and Heidi Klum are a good mix and fun to watch. So that was my standard. The others I could miss except for Top Chef without a problem.

project runway


DWTS lets the judges votes count half which helps. That way it isn't based totally on the viewers' opinions but does let us get involved. So You Think You Can Dance has viewer votes but leaves the final decision each week to the judges. That might happen with some others, too.

The format for American Idol and it's copycats (for example, America's Got Talent) is for us to watch interminable auditions from the ridiculous to the talented. Then we finally get a group to compete. The judges comment on them and try to sway the viewers who then vote.

I've reached my saturation point for these shows after checking out some that friends watch and blog about. I'm going to have to stick to the ones I like and enjoy the fictional shows on my schedule, too. I've had too much of some of it, so if I watch again, I'll have to wait until the end and watch the best competitors. Parading all these people on stage and putting me through the agony is more than I can stand. I'll check in later if at all. I never watched American Idol except for the last few weeks a couple of times. I'm OK not knowing who they are.

Some of these I wonder who will win now and plan to continue, such as Nashville Star, Design Star, and So You Think You Can Dance. Anyway, the Olympics will be here before I know it and that will take all my attention. Project Runway begins next week along with Generation Kill. I have to do something else besides watch TV, read, and blog while I'm at home. I don't want to but need to.

End of rant. LOL

And I can't wait until Project Runway next week!!!

1:06:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com