Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Tuesday, January 21, 2003  
Hurry up and Wait

Dr. Burkey checked the scans and reports and then said for me to come back in April for an ultrasound of my thyroid to see if it's grown or not. Then he said Dr. Spigel will probably prescribe Synthroid when I see him. So what I'm wondering is why am I seeing them for thyroid treatment instead of an endocrinologist? I might as well branch out to as many speicalists as possible. Dr. Burkey said he wanted me to try this instead of having more surgery and said I've been through enough. I appreciated that.

I have a sort of dilemma. I've been taking this thyroid complex from Healthy Habits which is helping. Since I knew something was wrong with my thyroid or it wouldn't be enlarged, I discussed it with Jim and decided to try that. I felt better and my hair stopped falling out and thinning. Then to double check I stopped it for a while and noticed an energy lag again and hair loss and more thinning. So back to it again which made my hair thicker and the lovely punk fur that it is now. It's hard to tell about the energy level since many of my symptoms are the same for thyroid problems, chemo, lymphoma, and inactivity. I asked Dr. Burkey about the thyroid complex which, not suprisingly, he was emphatically against. It's understandable since those supplements are not FDA approved and regulated that doctors could be liable. Their malpractice insurance is high enough as it is. I think TN needs to have a cap on settlements like some other states do. I'll have the bloodwork and ultrasound in April and am planning to continue taking this. I guess it will let me know if it's working or not. Brian said I have to tell that I'm taking this, which I will and then go from there. Still it's a dilemma to know what to do!

A friend who has thyroid problems didn't do well on Synthroid and is taking what I am. She gets it from Wild Oats. It works for her better than the prescription drug. As we all know by now, I'm very sensitive to medicine and am not looking forward to experimenting with dosages to see what works. I have a foot in both camps - alternative and mainstream medicine. I told Dr. Burkey that, and he said to cover all my bases. He did mention something about expensive urine when I said I took vitamin and mineral supplements. He did agree that MLD isn't alternative but grounded in anatomy or whatever and is impressed with how well it works.

12:22:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com