Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, July 16, 2003  
Catching Up

Let's see, what have I been doing lately? I watched movies during part of the weekend and saw Frida and White Oleander. I want to buy the DVD of Frida when it's affordable because of the special features. There are two disks and one is entirely interviews and commentaries. One interview with Julie Taymor is by Bill Moyers. I enjoyed the movie and learned more about Frida Kahlo's and Diego Rivera's relationship and marriage. Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina gave convincing performances, and the music added to the movie too. One of the significant issues that relationship and the movie dealt with concerned fidelity and loyalty. When he proposed, he admitted that he was physically incapable of fidelity and asked if that were important to her. She thought for a while and said that loyalty was and asked if he could be loyal. He responded that to her he could be loyal always. I'm sure some discussions will ensue after audiences discuss their views on this subject. Her paintings are surrealistic and internal. Diego Rivera's murals often depicted workers and social causes.

Monday I went to see Dr. Burkey about the growth on my thyroid. He said as long as it doesn't get larger or cause any problems, he wouldn't do anything about it, but that we need to keep checking to be sure it doesn't grow. He said in the meantime the endocrinologist could treat it medically to see if that shrinks it. I really do like Dr. Burkey and enjoy being around his staff, too. That's a pleasant atmosphere there where they obviously respect and admire him. I can understand why, too.

I saw an endocrinologist yesterday and will have another ultrasound and fine-needle aspiration next week to obtain a comparison of the thyroid nodule. As I've mentioned before, I'm getting really tired of myself with all this!

Yesterday I also visited Brendan. He's growing and thriving! I just love holding him. He smiles at me, knows me, and talks to me. He went to sleep on me too and let me hold him all I wanted to.

Melissa looks great now and has her tiny size back. She's completing some additional paintings to take to Dragon*Con in September. It's in Atlanta and helps elevate her geek status. They've been going to that one and Chattacon (in Chattanooga) for many years. Melissa wins awards there for her paintings very often. Check out her artwork on her site. I just love The Astronomer. The Hidden Faces series, Mermaid Touching Sky, Cold Water Mermaid, the unicorn ones, and Dance Around the Moon aren't all on her site but wonderful. I have prints of many of her paintings on my walls and really enjoy being able to see them.


5:19:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com