Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, March 24, 2008  
DWTS: Week Two

It's the last time all the competitors will dance because tomorrow night two of them will be eliminated. The dances tonight are the mambo and quick step. I think the quick step is my favorite. I'm typing this as I watch, so hang on!

Steve and Anna were first and did the mambo. I like watching that, too. Once again he had fun and looked relaxed and into it. He had on sort of a retro Miami Vice suit and shirt and she also wore pastels. It wasn't a fast mambo like some of them do and didn't seem as mambo-ish. In fact, she didn't shake her hips the way they usually do in the mambo. It was too slow and not as energetic as I've seen. The judges weren't impressed with his technique and were hard on him. He handled it well and thanked them for their remarks. Scores: 6, 5, 5. That's about what I thought.

Cristián and Cheryl danced the quick step. They started out energetically and glided, hopped, and skipped right along. I liked it. The judges were hard on him and gave him 7, 6, 7. Cheryl has been a favorite every season for me. I hope they stay in this for a while.

Monica and Jonathan did the mambo - sort of. Bless her heart, she is so stiff that it was sort of a robotic mambo. She did better than last week but has a long way to go. The judges agreed and gave her 5, 5, 5. Not surprised.

Penn and Kym quickstepped which should perhaps be called the quick walk. The judges criticized his footwork and gave him 6, 6, 5. His attitude is great and he is having a ball. Penn did a trick with his tie and had a voodoo doll of Bruno which seemed to irritate the little Italian troll. Bruno needs to lighten up and get a sense of humor. Penn is a large, tall man with big feet and does his best with a partner about a foot shorter than he is. Little ol' Teller was in the audience supporting him again, which is sweet. I've enjoyed their performances and shows for a long time, including BS.

Priscilla and Louis did the mambo pretty well. Her footwork was good but she needed to loosen up some. The judges said she was technically correct and almost too precise. I just wish she didn't have botox, collagen, and whatever else she's had done to her face. I don't know why those women don't realize how scary that looks. Scores: 7, 7, 7. It's really hard for me to write about her without thinking about her face. I want to turn away from it when they have close-ups of her. From a distance she looks pretty. Otherwise - horrifying!

Shannon and Derek did the quick step really well. They looked good, performed enthusiastically, and seemed to have fun. I enjoyed watching them. They were praised by the judges who gave her 8, 8, 8. Not surprising there either. I didn't think I'd like her, but she might be OK. I'll wait and see.

Jason and Edyta danced the mambo. He's so good looking that it doesn't matter how he dances, but he was good. It was a hot dance and so enjoyable to watch! The judges thought so, too, and said he was a winner. Scores: 9, 9, 9. OK, that's higher than I thought it would be. I thought it would be 8's, but that's fine. Edyta is also one of my favorites.

Marissa and Tony did the quick step. Last week the judges said she needed to rein it in on her enthusiasm. She was upset about thinking she couldn't do that well, and Tony told her he loved dancing with her. The judges were complimentary for the most part (Carrie Ann was bitchy). They'd better not give her lower scores than Priscilla got. Here they are: 7, 7, 7. OK, the same. I can live with that. I read that she's a cancer survivor and that she and her husband are having a surrogate baby. That's not the expression - a baby by a surrogate? Probably.

Adam and Julianne did the mambo. Adam did it better than he did the foxtrot, thank goodness. In fact, he loosened up and actually danced most of the time but was still a little stiff at times. The judges were mixed. Len thought he did well and said he entertained him. Carrie Ann was a bitch again. Well, sorry. She's either fawning all over the good looking guys and drooling or doesn't give any slack. At least she didn't like Heather Mills either. Who knew she wasn't the worst Beatle wife and would make Yoko look good? Scores: 6, 7, 6. Hmmm, better than before and than I expected. I wonder sometimes what they go by. Len is more of a stickler and knows more about ballroom dancing than the other two, who could be replaced and make the show better.

Marlee and Fabian danced the quick step. I don't know how she does it, but she was amazing - elegant and rhythmic. The judges praised her and gave her 8, 8, 8. Good scores and well-earned. She's doing well, and I hope she stays on. I've liked her in movies and on West Wing (moments of extreme sadness that they cancelled it) and admire her. You know, I just don't like Carrie Ann. Bruno not so much either.

Kristi and Mark danced the mambo because they did the foxtrot last week. I'm beginning to catch on to the pattern here. They alternate ballroom and Latin when they have these choices. She's just good! There's something about being an Olympic gold medalist to have a work ethic and competitive spirit. Duh! LOL The judges had wonderful things to say to her about her dancing and Mark's choreography and teaching. After all 9's last week, she got them again this week - 9, 9, 9. She should win this.

Mario and Karina also did the quick step since they did the cha-cha last week. See? I caught on. He's really good! His footwork is quick and technically right. They dance well together and were fun to watch. The judges said that he looked great and was entertaining. Scores: 9, 8, 9. Karina is a happy camper (dancer) as long as she has a partner who can dance. She was a major diva when she had to dance with Billy Ray Cyrus, and who could blame her. Apparently she and Mario Lopez are still a couple, and now she has another handsome, dancy Mario and can smile.

Another season of good dancing ahead! Personalities are beginning to reveal themselves. More to follow!

The two who will probably be eliminated tomorrow night are Adam Corolla and Monica Seles. Penn Jillette possibly, but it depends on the audience voting. What do you think?

6:58:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com