Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Friday, May 30, 2008  
Nashville Screenwriters Conference - Day 1

Larry Wilson is hilarious. He conducted a workshop on writing horror/fantasy. We had to write a paragraph about something we fear. Then some read theirs. I didn’t get called on. Then we had to have it do something horrible to us or someone else. Some others read those. We met in groups and collaborated on a story combining our fears. Mine was about a group controlling us and we’re just pawns with meaningless lives. Our group had a good one that Larry said was about a dystopic society. We had zombies in it and things in necks that counted down when we’d die but they were fake so the zombies could continue existing. Fun!

The Union Station Hotel is nice. They have cloth hand towels in the restrooms. (Can you tell I don't get out to nice places that much?) I’m glad they are having the conference there. We get pampered. It used to be a train station (opened in 1900) and was miraculously saved from demolition and turned into a hotel. Nashville is notorious for destroying buildings and replacing them with new ones, but people protested when they planned to tear down Union Station and managed to save it.


We took a shuttle to the Country Music Hall of Fame to see a screening of Generation Kill, which is an HBO miniseries based on Evan Wright’s book by the same title. It’s about the Iraq War. We saw the first two episodes. They are disturbing, as you would expect. Wright is a journalist who was embedded with the troops for Rolling Stone. Evan Wright, military adviser Eric Kocher, an HBO producer, and the screenwriters Ed Burns and David Simon were at the screening and will present a panel discussion about the miniseries in the morning. We're looking forward to that, and I'll tell you about it. Here are some reviews and comments about it on Amazon, and this is from NPR. I plan to watch the miniseries since I have HBO.

11:04:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com