Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Tuesday, June 24, 2003  
Game Day

During the holidays we used to play board games and had raucous good fun with it. After Brian, Amy, and Andy got married, we had less time for playing since they had to juggle commitments with in-laws. We decided a solution to this would be to designate a day for playing games. Since June 25 is Amy's and David's birthdays (same year and everything!), we decided a weekend near that date would be ideal. David is my cousin Sally's stepson we've had in the family for 17 years. I got on Amy's nerves saying that she was born on Rosemary's Baby's birthday and had to stop mentioning it. I do have a tendency to run things into the ground. It's one of my more effective methods of being annoying. I have many - some intentional and some an inate gift! So now I can't resist calling our new event The Rosemary's Baby's Birthday Annual Game Day. (TRBBAGD but another acronym might be better - one that spells something - any suggestions?)

We met at my brother's son Andy's house Sunday afternoon. He and his wife Angela are wonderful hosts - young, energetic, organized, neat, and efficient! We all took food and games. Sally and I won at Trivial Pursuit again. She and I know odd things but not a lot of information that normal people would know. We're abby-normal. Melissa was handicapped because she has a vascular tumor on her right thumb and can't use it, and Brendan was attached to her in a baby sling. The top of his head showed most of the afternoon. Brian and Sally said Melissa had no opposable thumb, but she still answered questions from other rooms and while passing through the game area. Mother was hoping she'd be able to hold Brendan while we played which would have been good. Mother is great with babies, but he'd had a rough week and is only two months old. He is new to this world.

We tried playing Song Burst but it was too hard for us to play by the rules. We had fun singing lyrics and laughing though. I'm going to get Cranium for next time. We played that the last two years at Christmas and really enjoyed it. It's a combination of Charades, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, and Quiddler. It's a lot of fun. I have movie trivia games we haven't played yet. We also like Taboo, Scattergories, Fluxx, Aquarius, and Guesstures. What are some other good games? This is making me want to invite people over to play games on a somewhat regular basis. Perhaps I will.

Angela was great at Set and won at it. Sally went to pieces playing it since we all have different skills. She and Brian can't handle the pressure of ticking timers, so we have to use the hourglass one with games that have to be timed. David the engineer made fun of Brian, Sally, and me for pointing our fingers and counting to ourselves to move spaces. I said the ADD members of the family had to compensate somehow. Amy said she liked Set after she caught on to it. Play it online here. That's how I am since it does take a while to be able to find them. Andy's comments are always funny during games. Then we had to imitate "weebl and bob" when we got our pieces of pie. When we said the link was on my blog, David wanted to know what a blob was. I guess I'm making our family sound dysfunctional but we're really just weird. Yes, there is a difference.

I plan to have TRBBAGD (only we'll have Game Weekend) at my house in Lawrenceburg from now on, so each of you take just a moment out of your day to wish that I win it. OK? You'll be invited to visit. It's a win-win situation!

2:49:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com