Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Wednesday, March 26, 2008  

Top Chef - Week Three (I must continue if just for myself)

It began with some odd horseplay between a couple of the guys that I didn't quite get. Then lesbians on the top bunk bed discussing how the two who had to take their knives and go home were women. Whatever. To read a recap done best, check out David Dust here.


The Quickfire Challenge was to create an upscale taco because the guest judge was Rick Bayless who owns a couple of restaurants in Chicago that specialize in "fine-dining Mexican food." Personalities are beginning to emerge big time! Some have cooked in Mexican restaurants and know it well and others not so much. There were some interesting dishes that ranged from duck to cactus petals. I don't know how they did this is 30 minutes, but they managed it. Chef Bayless didn't want street tacos which they had the most of. Erik, the white supremacist looking guy, was hostile. Manuel was disappointed since he's made many tacos and used cactus. The judge said that Richard with the matching Jennifer fauxhawk and techno-gadgets won the challenge, and he is going to use his recipe in one of his restaurants. Woo, Richard - immunity AND a featured dish. Spike was petulant and couldn't believe he lost because of the compliments he got compared with the others.

Next they divided into two teams, Red and Blue, to go on a field trip. The lesbian couple (Jen & Zoi) chose to be on the same team since they "know each other's palates better, obviously, than anyone else's" and could have five others to bounce ideas off of. (I didn't say a word - this stuff writes itself). Spike in no way wanted to be on Richard's team since he said he has immunity. Ah, but we don't think that's the entire reason, do we? Grudge match! Time for a field trip now!

Red Team: Jennifer, Zoi, Dale, Andrew, Spike, Erik, and Ryan
Blue Team: Richard, Stephanie, Manuel, Lisa, Antonia, and Nikki.

Elimination Challenge: They are to go from house to house to collect groceries from houses and prepare a neighborhood block party for the people they get the groceries from. OK.

The Red Team had the foresight to send in Ryan since he's "the pretty boy" instead of Erik Skinhead. They are making sliders, corn dogs, pork skewers, sangria, waldorf salad, pasta salad, taco salad, and s'mores because they decided that's what the neighborhood people would want. They could be right since they got the food from their cabinets and pantries. They're working as a team with no team leader according to Erik (it would be spelled with a "k"). Zoi whined about making the pasta salad and said it's not Top Chef worthy.

The Blue Team wanted to be more upscale and decided on paella, slaw, BBQ pulled pork, bean salad, inside-out cookie (turns out to be a chocolate chip cookie with Oreo crumbs and the filling making a happy face on top - whatever), sexy drink (it has lavender and lemon and will be carbonated on the spot - Richard must have a carbonater), mac & cheese, and fruit cobbler. Not that much upscale to me except for the paella, but not hamburgers and hot dogs as they said - hey, the mac & cheese has Velveeta in it. Oh well. I like paella and would like to have some right now.

Now for the block party! I have a feeling the Red Team might have the biggest hit with the neighbors. After looking at their food, I think I might prefer it, too, but there were dishes both teams prepared that I'd like. I'd have eaten my way through both tables just to be sure. :-) My neighborhood never has block parties or even much interaction unless we have a storm or something. That's OK with me since I like privacy when I'm home. We come through for each other when we need to but otherwise leave each other alone.

Wow! The judges weren't very happy with some of the food. Bad news for Nikki's mac & cheese (brick) and Rick's paella (no crunchy part on the bottom and disappointing). The Blue Team won by a small margin mostly because of Stephanie's fruit dessert, making her the winner. Tom told them it wasn't that good over all and that he expected a lot more from this team.

The Red Team got the losing nod because of the soggy corndogs and Waldorf salad and for dumbing down the food and therefore being condescending to the neighborhood. They said Zoi's pasta salad was bland and uninspired. The team stuck up for themselves and huffily defended their food, which made the judges question their tastebuds and ability. Zoi is scared that she's going home, and guess what? Erik of the soggy corndogs packed his knives. Zoi is emotional but relieved not to be sent home because of pasta salad. I have to agree with the judges that it shouldn't have been that hard to make taste good.

You'd think these contestants would think ahead about transporting food in those heated containers and having it on a table outside for a while. Even I know this. It is the second time they've served food that needed to be eaten right after it's cooked. Blinis! This will send you right home!

Winner: Stephanie

Loser: Erik














Me: Going to save up, go to Zola, and order paella.

10:09:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com