Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Monday, May 12, 2008  
DWTS - Week Nine - The Semifinals

It's down to four now! We're in the semifinals and the competition is tough! The heat is on. Who will survive? Whose fan base has the most votes? What will the judges say? Their benevolence is gone - no more lifts! Too bad because the dances are more fun with them.

Usually by now I am cheering for someone, and this time it's not easy. I like them all. Kristi continues to excel. Jason is improving every week, and he steps up. Cristian dances through the pain. Marissa is a performer and is going strong.

Do I sound like a sportscaster? I thought not.

The dancers picked their dances out of little mirror balls that were in a large one since the trophy is that tacky mirror ball they all laugh about but want. Len told the dancers to "get their welly on" whatever that might be. I looked it up and found that it means give it some effort. Those British are a colorful lot. Sometimes I still wish I had one of my own.


Jason and Edyta

Dance: Foxtrot Score: 28
Dance: Paso Doble Score: 27 Total Score: 55

Jason was thrilled that he got the foxtrot and paso doble. Edyta stood before a board with their game plan to win the semi-finals and inspire him in a coach-like way by scoping out the competition and discussing their strengths and how they need to beat them. Then Dan Marino gave him a pep talk by video to tell him he's not going to let two actors and an ice skater to beat him. And not to come back without that trophy. It was funny.

Their foxtrot was beautiful. Len said since he was a Dolphin, the way a dolphin glides through the sea, that's the way he glides on the dance floor. Bruno said he gave showmanship to the dance. Cougar Ann said he was more confident and accomplished. Jason - oh yes! Emmitt Smith was in the audience cheering Jason on.

Len went around to teach all the contestants new dance steps he wants to see in tonight's performance. Jason was hesitant to dance with Len to learn the step and said that Edyta looked much better. This was a more difficult choreography which he did so well. It was dramatic and passionate and SO GOOD to watch.


Marissa and Tony

Dance: Quickstep Score: 26
Dance: Rumba Score: 26 Total Score: 52

The dances they drew were the rumba and quickstep. Tony was excited! Stacy Keibler joined their rehearsal for inspiration. They were Marissa's favorite dance couple. They joked around with Tony because he said they didn't think he was sexy. Marissa said they'd been written off every week and that she was dancing for all the people who believe in them. The quickstep looked a little safe to me for the semi-finals, but I love her enthusiasm and dedication. The judges praised her, and the crowd obviously loves her. I still think she'll probably be the next to go, but I was wrong about that last time and could be again.

Len taught Marissa a step that helped her hip action. Marissa and Tony danced a sexy and precise rumba. The judges argued with Crabby Ann who thought it wasn't exciting enough for her. Len said the rumba doesn't have the "wow factor" that the other dances do and is a precise, controlled dance which she did very very well. Bruno said she did some step extremely well and did what he asked her to do during his critique last time. See why C (for the average grade) Ann doesn't need to be a judge on here? Why couldn't they have gotten someone trained in ballroom who knows what she's talking about. C- Ann is the Frank Burns of ballroom judges.


Cristián and Cheryl

Dance: Viennese Waltz Score: 27
Dance: Samba Score: 29 Total Score: 56

Their dance choices were the Viennese Waltz and the Samba. He freaked because he injured his arm during the samba. They went out and met the fans and campaigned. After rehearsing, Cristian decided not to let the samba defeat him.

The Viennese Waltz was first and a one-armed graceful dance. Emmitt Smith was cheering for his former partner Cheryl with a big smile on his face. The judges said he was better than before and did really well. Tom made fun of Cheryl's shiny silver dress and asked if anyone were missing a weather balloon. He's so good on there and adds just the right touch to it, whether to rein in the judges, especially Bruno and Len, and to add humor and smartassness.

And now for their killer samba! Cristian has more mobility and use of his arm and was fast, hot, and all Latino in this dance! Len said it was "hotter than a chile pepper, my Chilean friend" and said he thought injuring his arm made him focuse more on the dance. C- Ann (she gets on all my nerves) pointed out Emmitt in the audience and said he reminded her of someone she used to call Twinkle-toes. Emmitt gave gestures of support to them.


Kristi and Mark

Dance: Tango Score: 29
Dance: Jive Score: 28 Total Score: 57

They were excited to get the jive and tango. They got a 30 on their last jive but not as well on their tango, so Mark took her to a high-level dance class and had the pros help her with showing emotion during the tango. Her footwork and technique looked flawless, but she doesn't show the passion and hotness that others have displayed when they did it. This was much better this time. Len and Bruno argued about how well she did, and all of them said there was drama.

They danced the jive to "Nutbush City Limits" which would make anyone want to jump up and dance. It was energetic, peppy, and great. They look good together since they are both short and petite and fit. These dances are more suitable for Kristi. They pointed out how difficult the choreography was and how well she executes it.

I had a hard time with voting decisions tonight but of course voted! We'll find out tomorrow night.

1:32:00 PM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com