Open links in secondary window




Ramblings from a Southern liberal, Boomer, single parent, grandmother, reunited birthmother, cancer survivor, pop-culture observer, retired teacher

Most dramatic lymphoma posts are from June 2002 - February 2003 archives.

Email Joy Durham at joydurham@comcast.net

Welcome! Please sign my guest map or guest book. And Comment!!


[my collaborative other blog] MUTUAL ADMIRATION BLOG


[Adoption Blogs & Books]
Adoption Search Blog
First Parents
The Same Smile
The Daily Bastardette
The adoption.com Guide to Search and Reunion
My Reunion with Kathy

My Family and Friends



Sign In - Plant a Flag!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook



obama!





CURRENT MOON
moon info


My Amazon Wish List
[For anyone who wants to buy me a gift or discuss what we like.]


scaryduck.com

[ Reading & Entertainment ]


Blogroll Me!


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)












 
<< current












 
The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I cannot go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree, but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.



--Theodore Roethke






Visitors:




Joy's Updates - Straight from the Horse's Mouth.
 
Sunday, February 15, 2004  
Rook

After quite a bit of searching, I found a rule on a site about "shoot the moon" in the card game Rook. The Trivial Pursuit answer was that it was done in Hearts, and Michael said he'd never heard of it in Rook. Apparently it's not part of the official rules from Parker Bros. but is used in some variations.

Here it is from this site: A special bid is "shoot the moon" this means the player bids 180 points. If they fail, they go set by 180 points, if they make it they get 500 points.

Another interesting tidbit I found while searching is that Rook ("redneck bridge" as it was called on that site) was popular in the South because many Bible Belters thought standard playing cards were sinful and the devil's tools. Isn't this just one more thing for me to be proud of! Many of us Southerners have a love-hate relationship to our heritage but still don't like others to criticize - it's like family that way.

It didn't bother my family to play any kind of cards. Daddy taught us how to play poker, and I remember highly competitive Canasta and Rook games the Baptist Republican side of the family played when they'd get together. The Methodist Democrat side didn't play games that much although my parents got together with some of the Miller relatives to play Rook - not sure about Canasta though. I just remember being in another room reading while they played cards. My grandfather was a logic whiz and loved those puzzles like getting a fox, chicken, and basket of corn across that lake to the other side.

We really enjoy games in our family and even started Game Day in June so we can play longer now that the grandchildren (Brian, Amy, and Andy) have more family functions to attend and can't stay at Mother's as long as they used to. We like these games: Cranium, Scattergories, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, Taboo, Set, Aquarius, Fluxx, Battle of the Sexes, and such as those. We get excited when someone gets a new game for us to learn. I don't do well at Mancala and the ones like that which require the kind of thinking those logic puzzles do.

When I get my house in order (literally), I am going to invite people over for regular game playing. I think it will be lots of fun, and my house is arranged well for parties. Earl will come down and join in, too. When the weather is cooperative, he wants us to have a horse shoes and champagne party just for the contrast. I'm looking forward to having people over for games and lots of laughs. I need to have a social life again.

11:52:00 AM



 
This
page
is powered by Blogger.
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com